1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone recognize this schematic?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Rockinrob86, May 21, 2011.

1. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

A friend of mine bought this for $50 bucks at a shop and gave it to me. It was either a conversion or a scratch build, and is built with what I think was a silvertone chassis. Either way, it really sounds awesome.

I love it, so I traced it out and put it into a program. I would like to mess with the trem some, but I am not exactly sure how it works. It isnt the best trem, and I have been thinking of either just putting in a different trem circuit, or modifying this one. I will have a whole 12ax7 available because the trem uses a 6av6, and half of the 12ax7 in the amp isnt being used. I didnt draw the footswitch on the ground side of the trem potentiometer.

Anyone recognize this amp, or can help me learn about the trem?

Also, this is my first time tracing out a schematic. Not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

There's a missing plate supply connection in your schem- where the two 100K plate resistors from the 12AX7 and the 6AV6 meet. The three inputs and pre-amp cathodes hooked directly to ground are a dead giveaway that someone has copied an old Valco, or similar cheep-o amp.

3. Rockinrob86

thanks for the catch on the plate supply. I was close to getting it right!

I decided I want to put a vibro champ style trem circuit in. Ordered the parts and I will be starting on it in a few days. should be fun to play around with

Valco origins doesnt surprise me. I think this was a combination of parts on hand, whatever this chassis originally had, and a low end old 5w amp.

It sounds very tweed like, and is a really cool little amp. looking forward to having great trem on it.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

IMO, this amplifier can't possibly be loud enough to be of any use.

5. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

I think things are slightly mislabled but wouldnt this just be a tweed princeton amp with a 6AV6 for the ocillator? Or a mutant between the 5f10 and 6G10 lol.

Let me know what I am missing.

Thanks

6. Rockinrob86

What would make you think it wouldn't be loud?

It actually holds its own against my tweed deluxe and gibson ga-20t. I've used it with a band before.

I am very sure about the the parts. I measured them and looked up all of the codes. All resistors were within spec, and I could see what all caps were.

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I'm surprised. I've yet to hear a single-ended 6V6 amplifier loud enough for jamming. Mind you, I guess you could stick a mic in front of it. :)

8. Rockinrob86

I run it into a 1x12, which helps some. And I sound like neil young, but that is the tone I go for anyways.

It is borderline not enough, but it works, especially if I am playing with dynamic guys and we aren't rocking out too much.

In my old band the other guitar player was great and I practiced with it all the time. In the one I am in now the other guy isnt dynamic enough. It makes vocals easier for sure

I mostly use this at my apartment, but it is too loud to get overdrive with so I have been seriously considering building a 12au7 as a power tube type 1 watt mini amp for around the apartment