Does anyone remember nineties music fondly? What's out there now?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by antics31, Feb 26, 2015.

1. antics31

antics31 Member

I hope this doesn't sound too controversial but as a teen growing up in the nineties the nineties were a welcome relief from the late eighties. I remember being a teen in the nineties and having Nirvana, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Offspring, Fu Manchu, the White Stripes along with other stuff I can't remember right now.

The only thing I liked of the 2000-2010 era is some Franz Ferdinand, early Killers, Black Keyes, early Arctic Monkeys and that's it really. So what did I miss?

What do the kids listen to these days? Is it better than the nineties?

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

3. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

4. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Looking back I think the 90's were a golden age for music/bands. It was like the 60's where record companies were giving bands artistic freedom and couldn't find them fast enough. You'd go to a store and want dozens of discs. Just couldn't keep up with all the great stuff being released.
    Was in my 30's during the 90's, must have been a great time being a teen.
    Nowadays there is so much on the net, i don't even know where to begin....

5. Ivo

Ivo Member

You'll have to make an effort. And there's a lot out there - overwhelming so. Just have to sit down for a couple of hours and take a chance.

6. Russ73

Russ73 Member

You said it best, there was tons and tons of great stuff in every genre coming out in the 90s, heck I even liked tribe called quest and Cyprus hill, I went to college in the fall of 91 and it was a great time to be alive and be playing guitar!

7. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Rock and Roll is very weak now. Thank god STP, AIC, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, RHCP are still making music.

8. Ivo

Ivo Member

Vocaloid > Rock n Roll

9. Reverb Kick

Reverb Kick Member

What I miss is the true excitement of hearing something new. The nineties to me were the first decade that did not have that excitement. It was a time of recycling the best of what was.

10. slybird

slybird Member

Looking back I think the 90s was one of rock's weakest decades. Given that there are only six decades to choose from I would place the 90's at 6th place. That said, it wasn't all bad.

11. Ivo

Ivo Member

That's just getting older and not having as many "firsts" as you did in the past.

Skip to 13:30 for Papa Devy's explanation:

12. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

The great music I was listening to in the '90s was the same music I was listening to in the '60s and '70s...

13. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

The city I was living in the 90's had two big power alternative rock stations. Always played good music. That was MAINSTREAM radio. Those big stations play crap now.
    Have to listen to college radio for music that good these days.

14. tcdrover

tcdrover Member

I think everyone remembers the music of their youth fondly.

One of the things that changes over time is US.

In the 80's there was VH, GNR, Randy Rhodes, Dio with Sabbath, all of those metal bands like Judas priest, the Scorpians and Iron Maiden.

The MTV explosion was in the 80's.

In the 90's there was GnR, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, STP, Queens of the Stone age...

Those bands all had some kind of identity which is what I find kind of lacking now. They all had a unique sound and a much larger degree of originality than I hear in today's music.

Almost every song I hear now sound very similar to previous songs, the guitar parts, drum parts, vocal harmonies and even the lyrics all seem less original than before.

15. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I disagree. The lack of excitement is more a product of getting older which changes your perspective. Every decade of music/bands is influenced in some way by what was done before,..it's something that can't be escaped.

16. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Theory of a nickelback

17. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

:bonk

Don't worry, rock and roll is doing just fine without you. Back under your rock.

18. Reverb Kick

Reverb Kick Member

But there were no new instruments developed in the nineties. Fifties had the electric guitar, sixties brought in transistor organs, melotrons, ect. '67 on was summer of love protest music psychedelia, effects ect. Disco, then post disco nu wave/punk from '77 on, in the eighties midi exploded and the turntable became a legit musical instrument.
    the nineties to me were a reinterpretation of those elements.... No new instruments, no new sounds since, unless I'm missing something.
    I suppose the microchip became powerful enough in the '00 to become a game changer in many styles of music, recording, modeling ect.

Or maybe, now that I'm over the hill, I'm shaking my fists at clouds and telling the kids to get off my lawn...lol.

19. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Interesting observations!

20. Custom50

Custom50 Member

IF it's better or worse than the 90's is up to you but there's tons of great rock music being made right now. Some of the great 90's bands are still making music too.