Does anyone still play a Bruno Cowtipper?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 55hz, Feb 14, 2015.

1. 55hz

55hz Member

I came across one today, and I was wondering what you folks thought...

2. MHG

MHG Member

I've owned two cowtippers and an UG30. I've found that they're a bit too warm, and smooth, for my taste.

3. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I had a Cowtipper 22, but now the UG30 is my main amp. I felt the Cowtipper was a little to round sounding for my liking.

4. celestialpivot

celestialpivot Supporting Member

Fantastic amp. Make sure you use
    Celestion 65's with it.
    Great pedal platform.

5. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Bruno amps are all I use these days. Cowtippers and Supers.

6. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Yep. Cowtippers have the best cleans I've ever heard. Not getting rid of mine anytime soon.

7. voodoosound

Yep

8. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Played one at the LA Amp Show a few years ago, great amp great cleans. If I had the money I would own either a cowtipper or a d/13 FTR.

9. GasMask

GasMask Member

Another huge Cowtipper fan here! 22W 6V6 ProII in my case. Beautiful warm sound, and best reverb ever. I can certainly understand someone thinking it is too "round" (as another poster put it)- there are different flavors and everyone has their preference. The 6L6 based Cowtippers are a little different. I love the rich tone, and the fact I can play the highest note on my guitar with no ice-pick! It is a very different clean tone than my 6L6 based Two-Rock, which is why I own both. Cowtipper clean tones are simply gorgeous!

10. scmavl

A bit of advice to the OP... If it is not a Pro II model, make sure it has the bright switch. It gives it a sparkle that the eq knobs just can't replicate. I believe the Pro II update addressed this and made it no longer necessary.

11. voodoosound

I have newer pro 2s and a very old ct100. It has no bright switch nor does it need one. That amp has the best clean even among Cowtippers I've ever heard. Even better than my Dumble showman.

12. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I regret not snagging a CT90 in the emporium a wile back for a great price!

13. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I played a CT 35 II and the cleans just blew me away.... Great amps!

14. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I had a CT 45 head, I agree with what most said here although I found it to be a very un-loud 45 watts for lack of a better term! My 40 watt 66 Pro reverb and Custom Vibrolux reverb were much louder!

15. scmavl

The Cowtipper is definitely not a loud amp. I had my CT22 and an UG30 and the UG was easily twice as loud, if not more. And that was running them through the same speaker.

16. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

They are very dangerous. You could get kicked in the head by tone.

17. KSDS

KSDS Member

I have a CT Pro II 45 2x12 combo that sounds amazing. Best pedal platform I have ever heard... I wonder if Tony will ever build amps again?

18. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I play a Bruno Cowtipper every singe day, exclusively, and with great love and appreciation for it. My whole rig is built around it. It will never leave my side.

19. Radspin

Radspin Member

I played through a Cowtipper 30 at Ultra Sound Studios in Manhattan a few times and each time I played through it I desperately wanted to buy it. As others have noted, stunning, rich, beautiful clean sound and to say it took overdrive pedals well would be putting it mildly...it sounded truly incredible with a BB Preamp and guitars with both Strat and P90-type pickups. Just magnificent. Can't afford it though. Don't feel too bad for me though; I own a 1965 original Princeton Reverb and a couple of other great amps.

20. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

THIS!!!
    And too warm? Turn the treble up! Its warm until 2:00, after that it's bight and chimey, but never harsh.

I use a CT35 pro II, and had an 22 and a 45 in the past, as well as an Underground 30 (also a great amp). But the Cow is a better pedal platform. It has amazing tone and endless headroom. So I use a boatload of amp-in-can or "foundation" pedals with it, as well as others, and it always delivers. Everyone loves my tone, I envy no one their tone, not even Landau, from 8 feet away, using his Dumble. It's awesome. The reverb is great, and hit hard with a pedal (but still clean) mine is loud as hell. I sold a wall of amps, and kept only this to use with great pedals. I have a zillion stacked combinations. I'm down to my core, which is below, all in front of the amp ( I swap the Blue Collar with a Wreck't and Chawbox):

[​IMG]