1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use a amp at home?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by MemphisBlues, Jan 12, 2008.

1. MemphisBlues

MemphisBlues Member

With help from the forum I now have a great LV-03RE. Thanks to everyone for there comments!.

A friend suggested I would really enjoy "plugging in" when I practice. Thoughts? I could blow a few extra bucks on a Ultrasound AG-30 since I got a great deal on the guitar.

2. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I frequently plug into my D-TAR Solstice and California Blonde when I practice my acoustic guitar and mandolin. It's sometimes fun and nice to dial in the full sound that amplification gives. And it can sound fuller with reverb, etc.
    However, I still prefer the sound of an acoustic guitar unplugged much better.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I use my Roland AC60 at home a lot. As I play open mics I usually plug into the house PA from the amp's outs, it lets me hear how I want the instrument and vocal effects (if I use 'em). Of course, once into the house PA all bets are off as to what the audience is hearing. :rolleyes:

4. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I guess I'm different than most; but I rarely (if ever) play my acoustic\electrics without plugging in. Probably for every 50 times I pick up one of my guitars I'll play for a few minutes unplugged. I just like the sound coming out of the amp.

Just a thought: If you do get an amp, I would suggest considering the largest amp you feel comfortable with and still within your budget. You mentioned the AG - 30; perhaps go to the next size. I recently did that with my Roland Amp. I had the AC60 and after a 'night out' where I had no PA to plug into and trying to play above a drummer, I realized I needed a little more amp. Thankfully, I was able to sell the AC60 on Ebay for close to what I paid for it. I also took the new AC90 to the same 'night out' situation this past week and it did exactly what I thought it would do and I'm very happy with having gone to the 'next size'.

vtg

5. 55Junior

55Junior Member

I have a AG-30 and use it at home for practice all the time. I also use it for low-volume acoustic gigs, or as a stage monitor/DI for my acoustic in higher volume situations.

Joe

6. scott58

scott58 Member

+1 I bought a cheap PA and rarely play unplugged. It's got a 7 band EQ and some effects and the range of tone i can get is pretty good.

7. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Apart from plugging in occassionally to tweak the PA that I use for gigs, I almost always practice and play at home "unplugged". For one thing, I don't like to take the time (even just a few minutes) and like the instant gratification of pulling the guitar out and playing right away with no setup. Plus, it is nice to hear the sound of just my guitar!

Terry

8. jcground

jcground Member

I almost never plug in acoustic instruments to practice. In fact, I often practice with unplugged electrics too.

However, if you are planning a gig, it's a good idea to plug everything in and make sure it's all working before you go, and it can be a good idea to practice plugged in to get a better sense of how your kit will work live - what settings might be in the ballpark, and how to handle any problems that might arise.

You'll probably still need to tweak your settings at the venue. The only reason I can think of for not needing to do that would be if you normally run a relatively low volume in your own rig because it's getting mic'd or patched into a house PA or other gear by folks where you play. Even then, you should always be prepared to tweak your setup to get the tone you are after. Different venues vary really widely in terms of sound, equipment, and support they provide, and in just about any small gig you'd be on your own.

I suppose there are folks who play at home through their amp just because they enjoy the plugged in tone of an electro-acoustic, but I'm not really in that camp. If I'm recording, I'd rather mic the acoustic and get as close to a natural unplugged tone as I can. For me, the on-board electronics in an acoustic are a convenience. I don't normally use 'em when I practice.

9. MemphisBlues

MemphisBlues Member

Thanks for all the responses. It just didn't seem logical to have the acoustic and practice with an amp. But based on the responses, I ordered a amp and will give it a try. It can always go on ebay if it doesn't work for me.

10. TommyStrat

TommyStrat Member

I like to plug in when I play slide. It helps me control the volume when I do play out live. My touch is completely different plugged in. My muting is more crucial. I mostly play electric so going back and forth takes a wee bit of adjustment. Good thread.

11. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

+1.... if it don't have electricity running through it, I can't feel it... *especially* with acoustic guitars.

12. Alter

Alter Member

a lot depends on the quality of the amp, and how it compares to the quality of your guitar. one thing that 's great about an acoustic is that you can just pick it up and play. and no acoustic amp is going to give you the stellar tone of a great acoustic unplugged (or miked with a good mike through say your home studio monitors)

13. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Member

I play through my Genz Benz Shenandoah 200 Stereo Deluxe all the time. I prefer to have the volume at a level where I can hear both the guitar and the amp together. Nice effect. I also enjoy a little reverb sometimes which the amp provides.

14. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I love the sounds of my acoustic guitars - amp'd or not - and I almost always play un-amp'd at home... occaisionally I'll run 'em thru my Deluxe Reverb just for giggles and to check the pups, but not often. I used to own a Martin D-35 w/ a barcus barry and then a frap back in the 70's - and I'd play THAT guitar through my amp all the time!!!
    I think whatever sounds best to your ears is pro'lly the best course; I'd only amp an acoustic a lot if I did not like the sound from it...
    John Seth