Does anyone use a compressor to control delay oscillation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrandall85, Feb 12, 2012.

1. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I was playing with my delays tonight, and I always feel like there are a lot of cool sounds at the extreme end of the setting knobs. Crazy oscillation, etc.

I like those sorts of sounds a lot, especially those settings where I can retain the fundamental signal. This only problem is that the oscillations tend to run away into La La Land.

So I shy away from them for fear of blowing up speakers and the ears of listeners.

What would it be like running a compressor at the end of my chain for the sole purpose of dynamically squashing some of those more extreme sounds? Is this a normal thing to do? If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

2. DigitalHater

DigitalHater Member

Yeah, that works great. I keep an optical compressor at the end of my wacky pedalboard (whammy, moog low pass filter, moog ring mod, big muff, 1 of various analog delays, then comp - still trying to work out the pedal order for most synthy craziness).

Those moog effects can get loud sometimes, and I leave the compressor on essentially as a limiter. I usually don't have a comp after my delay and when I'm messing with runaway oscillation I just remember to turn the mix down, that's really all you need to do to not blowup your amp.

3. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Good to know- sounds like you've got a pretty crazy rig. Does an optical compressor work best in your experience? Compression is an effect I've only ever used when I want to sound like Hank of the Hill.

4. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I'm going to bump this up for the non-vampires among us.

5. blesscurse

blesscurse Member