Does anyone use an EHX 44-Magnum?

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
I was talking with a friend who was using one of my Malin M-Type preamps into a 44-Magnum and was pretty impressed. I use to bring a Quilter along to gigs for emergencies, but this EHX pedal seems like a really great idea - if they sound descent.

Does anyone use use of these (even for emergencies)? I'm curious about your experience with them, or your opinion of the sound quality.

Thanks
Mark

hairydangler

I use one for one side of a stereo pedalboard rig paired with a Moorer Baby Bomb for the other side. Both are paired with an AMT preamp: E2, and P2(Engl, Peavey 5150).

I use this for home practice and recording and haven't tried with a real band yet. It's been great.

Here's a clip, plus there's more on my channel featuring this stereo pedalboard rig. All my recent cover lesson videos feature it:

Last edited:

lespauled

I went down that rabbit hole a while ago, and tried all the pedal power amps. I started with the Quilter MicroBlock. The problem I found was that there is a gain knob that needs to be engaged to get it to work. The gain is not clean, thus the more gain, the dirtier the power.

I then went to the 44 magnum. It was definitely better than the Microblock, but it also did not give clean power at higher volumes.

I finally settled on a Seymour Duncan PowerStage, which is incredibly clean all the way up. No distortion added at all, even at ear splitting volumes. A great piece of gear, and it is still a part of my rig today.

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
I went down that rabbit hole a while ago, and tried all the pedal power amps. I started with the Quilter MicroBlock. The problem I found was that there is a gain knob that needs to be engaged to get it to work. The gain is not clean, thus the more gain, the dirtier the power.

I then went to the 44 magnum. It was definitely better than the Microblock, but it also did not give clean power at higher volumes.

I finally settled on a Seymour Duncan PowerStage, which is incredibly clean all the way up. No distortion added at all, even at ear splitting volumes. A great piece of gear, and it is still a part of my rig today.
I'll have to look at the Seymour Duncan PowerStage. I had a Quilter Microblock but really thought it sounded terrible, but I was trying to play jazz through it with my tube preamp in front of it. Right now I keep a DV Mark Micro Jazz 50 in my gear bag in case something happens, but the 44-Magnum sounded promising...just as a Class D amp for my tube preamp.

BeeBaa

I know what you're thinking. Did he play six chords or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful amp pedal in the world, and would blow your ears clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Last edited:

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
I know what you're thinking. Did he play six chords or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful amp pedal in the world, and would blow your ears clean out, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
Dirty Harry!

Timmay!

I researched all of the above options and rejected them as they didn’t fit my needs: a clean stereo power amp.

I settled on the Harley Benton Thunder 99 and am very happy with it.

DontheMon

I'll have to look at the Seymour Duncan PowerStage. I had a Quilter Microblock but really thought it sounded terrible, but I was trying to play jazz through it with my tube preamp in front of it. Right now I keep a DV Mark Micro Jazz 50 in my gear bag in case something happens, but the 44-Magnum sounded promising...just as a Class D amp for my tube preamp.
Been curious about the SD powerstage and wattage...it's 170 at 4 ohms, does that mean you can throw a 100 watt 8 ohm speaker on it?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'd guess the power stage would be fine with a 100w speaker if you're not pushing super hard. If you are gigging it and pushing it, I'd feel better with a 150w or pair of 75s.

I've used the Magnum for a pick up gig. It sounded OK.

Grimace

Great for emergencies, rescued a gig once. Sounds fine. Quilter Interblock is a bit better using the loop in for modelers and the regular input for pedals. But the 44 cant be beat for its price, especially 2nd hand.

Blue Bee

I had the 44 and gigged with it into a small 1x12” 15lb open back cab. It was used regularly in a jazz-rock quartet w mellow drums, small pubs, coffee and house shows. Sounded good into the Ethos not good on it’s own. As you up the volume it gets dirty so I left it at 10:00 w Ethos clean channel and OD channel for solo boost. It did the trick.

The crate power block I had before that sounded better, cleaner and way louder. The Quilter micro pro 8” (w Ethos then Harlot pedal) I later got sounded much better and louder than both @ 20lb but Ive had multiple issues over the years w the quilter... But it has lasted longer in my rig than the 44 and crate, at least tone wise

For grab and go I’m now considering
Bose s1 15lb w battery power (w tube pedals and an IR)

Also the Templodevices Nomad amp

The Ethos power amp I bet is a step up from those and probably stays cleaner... also the Ethos amp as well if a pre is needed.

Power stage looks good and loud. I forgot that one. Simon form Kingsley uses it in demos. Kinda picks up where the crate power block left off.

Interesting to hear Quilter Micro is worse than the 44 I figured it would be a step up.

If you don’t mind a slight breakup in tone when pushed to hang w drums then the 44 will be worth a shot. It is a bit middy and boxy on its own and again a preamp type pedal helps a ton.

Last edited:

Blue Bee

I researched all of the above options and rejected them as they didn’t fit my needs: a clean stereo power amp.

I settled on the Harley Benton Thunder 99 and am very happy with it.
Did you try the Powerstage ? What didn’t you like?

Dirty Tony

I know what you're thinking. Did he play six chords or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful amp pedal in the world, and would blow your ears clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
:rockin

Quad4

I started with the Quilter MicroBlock. The problem I found was that there is a gain knob that needs to be engaged to get it to work. The gain is not clean, thus the more gain, the dirtier the power.
I wonder how the Quilter Superblock using the FX return would work? https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/superblock-us

Clearly this does a lot more (it's a full on amp head that as some SS wizardry to emulate tubes in both pre and power amp) which might be nice as a backup rig.

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
I have the SviSound 50 watt micro power amp...it's $130 from Bulgaria, but it's very clean all the way up and works great. I'm still messing around with it, but it definitely needs to have a hot signal to make volume...plugging straight into it with an instrument level signal doesn't really get you anywhere as far as volume goes. Not sure yet if it's just me/my power supply, but it would seem like it absolutely needs some sort of preamp to feed it a hot signal.

If using my Boss GT-1 as a preamp, it gets nice and loud after messing with the preset/output/amp volume controls first and using the SviSound as sort of like a global volume dial. Like this, I was running it around 10-12 o'clock with a 16ohm 2x12 cab rather loudly at home. It also doesn't seem to want to break-up like the EHX and Mooer power amps do. It's probably not any louder than those, but the idea is that it appears to be like taking that small amount of clean headroom on the dial of those two and spreading it out more over the whole range of the knob I guess. Dunno...but I really like it; sort of a novelty that actually works?

Last edited:

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
I have the SviSound 50 watt micro power amp...it's $130 from Bulgaria, but it's very clean all the way up and works great. I'm still messing around with it, but it definitely needs to have a hot signal to make volume...plugging straight into it with an instrument level signal doesn't really get you anywhere as far as volume goes. Not sure yet if it's just me/my power supply, but it would seem like it absolutely needs some sort of preamp to feed it a hot signal.

If nothing else, that sure looks cool! ;)

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
If nothing else, that sure looks cool! ;)
That's where I'm at lol...do not take my word based on comparisons or anything super relevant. All that I know is that it's built well, cool as hell, and does what it most likely should do lol. It is not a paperweight and is very doable with a GT-1 and a 24V 5amp Schnitpower power supply from Amazon lol.

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
That's where I'm at lol...do not take my word based on comparisons or anything super relevant. All that I know is that it's built well, cool as hell, and does what it most likely should do lol. It is not a paperweight and is very doable with a GT-1 and a 24V 5amp Schnitpower power supply from Amazon lol.
Will this thing run on a Pedal Power 4X4 supply? I just bought an OptiValve which needs about 400 ma 12V. This SviSound may actually fit on my board. I have run my Malin D-Type preamp (disclosure: I build/sell these) into a DV Mark Jazz Micro 50 and it sounds just great for small jazz gigs. If this little SviSound is gig-worthy for jazz I could gig with just a guitar, the Malin D-Type Preamp, my little pedal board and a speaker cab! That would be a game changer.

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
Will this thing run on a Pedal Power 4X4 supply? I just bought an OptiValve which needs about 400 ma 12V. This SviSound may actually fit on my board. I have run my Malin D-Type preamp (disclosure: I build/sell these) into a DV Mark Jazz Micro 50 and it sounds just great for small jazz gigs. If this little SviSound is gig-worthy for jazz I could gig with just a guitar, the Malin D-Type Preamp, my little pedal board and a speaker cab! That would be a game changer.

Nope. It needs 24V and 4 amps minimum at 4ohms, then 3amps at 8ohms, and 2 amps at 16 ohms. It basically needs a laptop-style power supply. The one that I tried from Amazon definitely works and I think he sells a separate power supply if you ask, but I don't have details on that.