Does anyone use an EHX 44-Magnum?

R2-DD2

i keep it in a bag as a backup. never had to use it yet. It sounds fine. Really just there so that I don't blow the whole gig in case something happens.

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
Nope. It needs 24V and 4 amps minimum at 4ohms, then 3amps at 8ohms, and 2 amps at 16 ohms. It basically needs a laptop-style power supply. The one that I tried from Amazon definitely works and I think he sells a separate power supply if you ask, but I don't have details on that.
Bugger..... ok. It's funny, one of the primary reasons I designed my preamps to just run on a standard mains power cord is exactly that. Having yet another power thing to take along to a gig. I should just build it into the preamps :p. Dang, that thing sure looks cool, though...

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
Bugger..... ok. It's funny, one of the primary reasons I designed my preamps to just run on a standard mains power cord is exactly that. Having yet another power thing to take along to a gig. I should just build it into the preamps :p. Dang, that thing sure looks cool, though...
Exactly. I mean, you could always mount a ppwer supply on top of the Pedal Power, but I know the feeling. If you look closely, I'm running the GT-1 off of rechargeable AAs because I don't want to use a second power supply aside from the SviSound lol.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I have one that I keep velcroed inside my Bella 112 cab in the rare event I want to use my iridium with a speaker instead of my pt15. For $50 used it’s fine, and loud. I barely had the volume up at all with the iridium and it was like window rattlingly loud in my house, and clean. I’ve heard the demos where it breaks up higher up the volume, but i haven’t needed it that loud at all. It’s kinda dark with the bright switch off, but sounds good and solid with it on. At the price point it’s a solid option

Brooks

Started w/ a Powerblock, used to run a modeler into the return to bypass the preamp, sounded good - dunno why I sold it. I think I joined a country band and was jonzing for a DRRI. I got the EX44 as a backup, I was not that impressed but it would work in a pinch. Got an older Quilter 101 (non reverb w/ the goofy EQ), also ran my modeler (now a Pod Go) into the return to bypass the preamp. Recently got a TC BAM200, which is a tiny 200w bass amp w/ gain bass mid treble master controls, that is now my go to and the Quilter is the backup, I run the Pod Go right into it (no loop).

cameron

Been curious about the SD powerstage and wattage...it's 170 at 4 ohms, does that mean you can throw a 100 watt 8 ohm speaker on it?
With an 8 ohm speaker you get half power, with a 16 ohm speaker you get one-quarter power

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
For what it's worth...I just Amazon'd a Mooer Baby Bomb to compare with my SviSound. I'll get back on that.
I totally forgot to write back lol. So the Baby Bomb is like the EHX Magnum 44 in that it has volume spikes up until about 9 or 10 and then starts to break up. Tough to gage, but anything beyond 12 and it's just getting more distorted/compressed and marginally louder by volume. It's really, really punchy and a good product, and yes it gets lloud and is worth having should anybody be interested.

The Baby Bomb is actually louder than the SviSound amp by a good bit and more punchy/up-front, the SviSound is about as loud as the Baby Bomb around 9 or so and sort of sounds a bit more controlled/prettier/not so raw...and it also does NOT distort or breakup; I basically run it full tilt all the way up anymore and it doesn't kill my ears. It absolutely needs a preamp to make volume and is not loud on its own. The Baby Bomb is like having an amp if you plug straight into it and doesn't need a hot signal; it also sounds brighter and livelier where the SviSound is kind of dark and dull...but I think it works better with the GT-1 where the Baby Bomb colors things more for better or worse with its base tone; mileage and oppinions will vary on that one.

I don't really like the whole "here's power amp distortion" thing that these little amps do. It's not that it sounds "bad", but I prefer a clean source far more since I'm using it with a modeler. It does help to give "punch" to distorted settings, but it's overall not needed by me, so that's why I'm sticking with the SviSound...it's not as loud and sort of less versatile/useful, but I like what it does.

I sent the Mooer back, not because it isn't good...just that the SviSound is better for my GT-1 board idea and I don't need two of something within the ballpark of eachother. For the price, I'm maybe interested in grabbing a Harley Benton GPA100 to also have if they ever convert these to US voltages...that would fare far better as a "super loud with tone shaping and can plug straight into it if needed" type of deal.

Last edited:

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I'd love to try that SvSound power amp with one of my Malin tube preamps. I should probably just bite the bullet and buy one....

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I'd love to try that SvSound power amp with one of my Malin tube preamps. I should probably just bite the bullet and buy one....
Yeah I would describe it as sort of like...maybe take a Baby Bomb or a Magnum up to 9 o'clock and just spread that out across the range of the dial. I mean, I literally crank it up all the way/it's clean and then I just play with the GT-1's patch volume and master output volume and/or the preset amp's volume from there to get it louder if needed. The only thing is that you might think it's too "quiet" if you want what the Baby Bomb/EHX does past 9 o'clock. I mean, if there's a good range of volume and good output on the preamp you're using and you'd be able to run it up high if it turns out it's needed, I don't think there would be an issue or any concern. It just absolutely needs a strong/hot signal to work with and some external volume shaping to get it going.

Again, the SviSound isn't as "amp like" or whatever as the Mooer and stuff apparently tries to be...which is 100% why I like it. A little Class D amp is not a tube amp and I don't want it to be either; that's also why I think I might be interested in a U.S. compatable GPA100 just for the big power and such that's on par with the Seymour Duncan Power Stage...that for the same price as a Baby Bomb is just a no brainer to me by comparison. But that could stay as a backup for a real amp while I use the Svisound with the GT-1 board since I think they match well and what I get out of both working together is 100% usable.

Last edited:

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
I like the thought of a little Class D amp just doing what it was designed for. I could run the D-Type into it and play a jazz gig that way. The whole idea of having some solid state thing "sound like" or "act like" a tube amp just bugs me, but that's me (and why I build stuff the way I do). You think it does until you plug into a real tube amp, has been my experience. So I'm OK with letting the SviSound do its thing the way it was designed.

Blue Bee

Man I got so tempted by this thread... to buy a little class D Svi sound amp

...Then I went down a class D rabbit hole and now have a Milkman Amp 100 in front of me. This one is definitely way better than the 44mag and my Quilter.

Still curious about the Svi and wish I had bought one first just so I could have both here to compare to each other

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Another thought is to buy a used Stewart PA100b or 50b. That's a legitimate, class AB, solid state 100w bridged (or 200w for the 100b). No fan. Plugs into mains. The only problem is that it WEIGHS like an induction cooled, class AB amp. But all the clean guts you could want and 1/2 rack size.

markmalin

Silver Supporting Member
This kind of takes it in another direction, but I have a customer who owns both a Malin M-Type and a Malin D-Type tube preamp and runs them into a KSR PA50 Tube Power Amp. What I like about that is it's all tube in a small platform. I actually built a one-off single ended 6V6 "power amp pedal" to mate with the tube preamp pedals, but this KSR looks like it's built really well.

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
I like the thought of a little Class D amp just doing what it was designed for. I could run the D-Type into it and play a jazz gig that way. The whole idea of having some solid state thing "sound like" or "act like" a tube amp just bugs me, but that's me (and why I build stuff the way I do). You think it does until you plug into a real tube amp, has been my experience. So I'm OK with letting the SviSound do its thing the way it was designed.
That's where I'm at. The Baby Bomb is absolutely usable with the volume knob pushed into overdrive/distortion territory and the damned thing really has a forward sound/moves air in a fun and three dimensional way...but why bother with letting it clip intentionally to try and simulate amp breakup when you could run it clean and hit it with an actual preamp or even an overdrive or distortion pedal? If I want breakup, it's not from a Class D mini amp.

The Mooer is really valuable though as a "oh ****...my amp died and I need to reach into my backpack and grab my backup plan" idea. And again, that Harley Benton GPA100 with a 3 band eq and well, more power/no external power supply just looks like it would do such a better job at what the Mooer is while listing at the same price point. That thing is going to be a hit and more or less is the answer to all of this for most people wondering what to buy...just need the U.S. voltage version to hit and they could own the market for this stuff hands-down.