• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does anyone use the Line 6 Line 6 MM-4 Modulation Modeler?

etvedt

Hi all,

I'm looking to simplify my board by possibly removing my MXR Phase 90 and MXR Analog Chorus and replacing it with the Line 6 MM-4. I realize it's a beast, but it would make switching a little easier for me.

Here's the question: does this pedal suck? I see artists using the Line 6 delay modeler all the time, but I don't often see the big blue modulation pedal. I'll probably play one this weekend. Let me know your thoughts if I should even go down this road.

P.S. I'm looking for something that's good in a live setting. I would probably still use the MXRs for recording.

voorhiessa

I thought the same thing, but had 3 major problems:

--just didnt really care for the tones. Felt cold.
--those darn tweak and tweez knobs. Always have a different function.
--because it was preset based, I would tweak and forget how things were set. Frustrating if I wanted to make a change later on.

Ended up going back to individual mod effects (just picked 2 that I liked).

gtrbarbarian

Gold Supporting Member
Well, you do see pros using the Line 6 M9 for delays and mods. Same engine as the MM4 and DL4.

Snowy White's board for the Wall I mean can you think of music more delay and mod filled than Pink floyd?

I like the modulations on my Line 6 M9 as much as the ones on my TC Nova Modulator... I do own an analog phaser and used to own a visual sound liquid chorus that was fantastic, and they do sound a little bit warmer, but not so much as to be _that_ noticeable.

Chances are you audiences won't know the difference in the mix...

I you're looking at the MM4, why don't you just get the M9?

chip46

Chris Shiflett of the Foo Fighters used one (still uses?). I've found with most multi-mod pedals (I own the Nova Mod, and I'm looking at going back to individual pedals), you trade sound quality for functionality.

They're fun at first, and something to keep around just to play with when you're bored, but in the end I think I'll always fall back to individual pedals.

gtrbarbarian

Gold Supporting Member
In my experience, the "warmth" of modulations and delays is directly proportional to having a very sparkly clean channel with character....if your amp has a sterile clean, well then....

etvedt

In my experience, the "warmth" of modulations and delays is directly proportional to having a very sparkly clean channel with character....if your amp has a sterile clean, well then....
My clean signal is a Marshall DSL through a Mesa 2x12 with Vintage 30s. I have all the clean channel dials set to 7, so there's definitely some grit in there. Maybe I'll take it for an extended test drive with Guitar Center's return policy!

voorhiessa

Hummm....good point. I'm remembering that I didnt care for the amp I had at that time. The effects just had no personality, but that was true of most things coming out of that amp. I may revisit the MM4 (in M5 fashion).

There is a youtube video.......search "Line 5 M5 modulations"

onwingsoflead

Been happily using mine for 4 years. Its tough and sounds great. Its not perfect but those in the crowd cant tell a phase 90 from an mm4

Roe

the m5 replaced dl4 and mm4 for me. the dl4 sounds better than mm4, imho. however, some of the mm4 sounds are still usable

Drewski

Gold Supporting Member
Like a few others have stated, I found it to be a little sterile or digital sounding. Ive chosen two mod pedals and just stuck with that. Also, making a slight change to a preset is impossible unless you havent moved the knobs since you set it. It did have a righteous stereo pan tremolo that I miss, but it was only for fun.

etvedt

Like a few others have stated, I found it to be a little sterile or digital sounding. Ive chosen two mod pedals and just stuck with that. Also, making a slight change to a preset is impossible unless you havent moved the knobs since you set it. It did have a righteous stereo pan tremolo that I miss, but it was only for fun.
On the subject of these boxes sounding sterile, I'm curious about the DL-4. That thing is used by tons of people, so it must be a better pedal. Right now, I send my MXR Analog Delay into my Boss DD-6. I use them individually for different things and together at times. Would I see a huge improvement in the warmth/flexibility if I switched out the Boss for the Line 6 delay?

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I used an mm-4 for ten years and only traded it because I needed more presets. Great pedal! My cousin, Peter Stroud turned me on to these when he was touring with Don Henley a few years ago. The tones are great and, if you learn how to dial them in, warm and organic. It also has a "mix" knob that I found to be very useful.

chrisjnyc

Yea, the MM4 is a dud... skip it. Check out the M9\M5 for a bit improved mod sounds. Or just get the Dano Cool Cat chorus and flanger and trem

NHBluesMan

i had one and swapped it for a separate phaser and tremolo cause that's all i was really using.

I second the votes for the M5- higher sound quality (unless you need to use both of those effects at once) plus 90-something other effects thrown in

JaminJuno

I recently sold my MM4 after using it for quite a few years in favour of individual stomp boxes. I hung on to my DL4, definitely a superior unit. I do miss some of the functionality - the presets were handy and it's great having a blend knob for all your effects. I thought the trems, rotary sounds and choruses were really good but the phasers and flangers were pretty crap. It really depends on what you use it for and how much you use it. I did find that most of the sounds on the MM4 had a noticeable volume drop when engaged which I don't notice on my DL4. This was quite annoying and was one of the reasons I got rid of it. If you can pick one up cheap, they are definitely worth a look.

pomfret

If just for chorus and phaser (although reverbs and delays are good too), I'd take a look at Zoom G3.

It replaced some TC and Lovepedals on my board.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I thought the same thing, but had 3 major problems:

--just didnt really care for the tones. Felt cold.
--those darn tweak and tweez knobs. Always have a different function.
--because it was preset based, I would tweak and forget how things were set. Frustrating if I wanted to make a change later on.

Ended up going back to individual mod effects (just picked 2 that I liked).
I agree, although I have yet to find a unit with as many sounds in it and with that simple 4 push button interface so I still use it.

The only thing that I found that comes close was the Nova Modulator, but that push button interface made it nearly impossible for me to easily change presets on the fly at gigs.

danonbass

I used an mm-4 for ten years and only traded it because I needed more presets. Great pedal! My cousin, Peter Stroud turned me on to these when he was touring with Don Henley a few years ago. The tones are great and, if you learn how to dial them in, warm and organic. It also has a "mix" knob that I found to be very useful.
Psshhhh. Name drop much?

Trending Topics