Does anyone use their Gibson/4 knob neck tone?

caspa

Gold Supporting Member
Just curious if anyone actually uses their neck tone aside from an occasional messing around with the 'woman tone'.

I'm struggling to find a reason to not change that pot to a bass cut on my #1.

M

Member 1963

I'd say do it. It;s a 2 second mod thats also 2 second reversible. Why not? The only reason i can possibly see for a tone on the neck pickup is if you are a jazzer. Other then that having it on anything but 10 is crippling for most uses, and even on 10 it cuts a slight bit of highs so removing it will clear it up a touch more. I'd do it w/o a second thought, unless like i said u r a jazz guy.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I like to goof with that tone knob on occasion but in truth, no, not in any way that "gets" me something. And playing live, never. This on all three of my Gibs (two with diff buckers and one with p90s), so it's obviously "right" for me. The tone on the bridge pup, of course, but the neck pup's tone never gets rolled back for what I do (rock covers).

I'd say do what you need to do with that position to make it more usable for you! And fwiw, a bass cut sounds perfect for a neck pup!
:D
Edward

Kurt L

Silver Supporting Member
I often use the neck tone knob on my 339 and 390. (And on my Hamers.)

But it’s your guitar. Give it a shot and see if you like it.

davesultra

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I use the neck tone pot. I have no plans to dink around with it.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I roll down the tone on a few songs to give my LP more of a 335 type tone. I dont think I have ever rolled down the bridge tone knob at a gig.

smv929

I'd say do it. I'm with you. I never roll the tone down on the neck pickup, except I have on my 335, which has a wonderfully non woofy pickup and sound. I've actually rolled it down on occasion for normal use (not woman tone). This is rare though.

Here's something else to consider: If you want a brighter neck pickup, I can testify that getting a higher value volume pot for the neck will help (i.e., if you have a 510 pot, a 560K will help). I like matching pot values: a lower value for the bridge pickup and a higher value for the neck pickup. It's what should be done on all guitars, but often isn't.

Since I don't use my neck tone knob, I removed it and used that hole for a varitone pot.

One other thing to consider if you want a brighter neck pickup is to position pickup, so that the screw coils are further away from the neck. Lower the pickup and raise the screws. It will pickup more sound from a brighter spot (nearer the bridge) that way.

chrisrocksusa

I do it occasionally . I don’t like not being able to.

I have a standard strat wired w the neck pickup not connected to a tone pot and I hate it.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Not really, with a humbucker anyway. I think the bass cut or coil cut would likely be more useful honestly. I have mine wired as 50's style so I wouldn't bother with it.

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
It's the only one I never use, but I don't really go for the whole 'woman tone' thing (I have no issues with the phrase itself, I just don't care for that tone).

Jim85IROC

nope. I'm always looking for a brighter neck tone, not darker. I very much appreciate having separate bridge & neck tones though, so that I can roll the bridge tone back without impacting the neck tone.

C-4

Just curious if anyone actually uses their neck tone aside from an occasional messing around with the 'woman tone'.

I'm struggling to find a reason to not change that pot to a bass cut on my #1.
I use every dial on my Gibson guitars.
What it depends on is the amp, the song and the room.

I don't use radical settings, such as rolling off the tone to zero on my neck tone dial. Personally, I don't care much for that tone, but I do roll it back to taste, just a bit, when I feel that the sound is not correct for the song, or the room may make the sound a bit too biting when the tone is all the way up.

Take each situation individually. :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom