Does anyone who is not a guitar player know about Holdsworth ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stumphead, Jun 21, 2019.

1. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

You can hear elements of his harmonic sense in other “outside” jazz players whose chord work and harmony were at a high level (mostly keys players...I used to hear a bit of it in Keith Jarret for example). Musicians at that level transcend their own instrument and just play music. He was too out there for lots of folks, and on top of that you had to have a sophisticated palate just to comprehend how good he really was (and how difficult what he was doing was). That’s a bad combination for broad appeal but it’s certainly the stuff of legacy.

2. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Me too...and yet,
    I caught him in the '90s at the California Center for the Arts, Escondido, CA.
    [where? who?]
    It's got a 1500 seat auditorium and the place was about packed.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  3. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

You said it better than I ever could have. Thanks.

tribalfusion likes this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Did his mom play guitar? I bet she knew about him one way or the other.

5. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I caught him at a great venue in Denver and place was full as well. But the cities and surrounding areas you and I are talking about have populations over 1,000,000. So 1500 is 0.15% of that population. So unfortunately even when we see a full concert, the number of folks that know of him is tiny in comparison to the population.

sahhas likes this.
  6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

He was not famous or with enough draw to keep far away from the poverty line, apparently.
    The 'starving artist' is not a new meme.

sahhas likes this.
  7. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

Was divorced twice and had children with both of those women. That **** is expensive no matter who you are.

Sadly it seems like he also had some inner demons and that kept him in a tight spot as he got older.

The dude deserves all the respect in the world. He is one of those one note musicians who you know right away.

Tomo El Gato and sahhas like this.
  8. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

Of course I know who he was, but I can’t say I’ve ever knowingly listened to him. And my listening tends strongly toward jazz, albeit derails around the time of Miles’ Filles de Kilimanjaro or In A Silent Way. That’s as close to fusion as my interests go.

Not much of a prog guy either, for any overlap that might offer.

If my tastes in jazz run in any direction with regard to bebop, it’s most definitely earlier rather than later.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  9. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

That’s exactly how I feel about him. Great player that’s for sure. Seems to be influencing a lot of fusion guys even today but I have yet to see one of the new guys do it better. Which is honestly kinda rare, as musicianship seems to usually be constantly progressing.

Shiro and NorCal_Val like this.
  10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I’d say it’s because you can’t do a “play-by-numbers” with Allan’s style/musical vocabulary. I’ve heard people do good imitations of parts of his playing/tone, but they didn’t have his depth of expression.

11. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Don't forget his tour with McLaughin and DiMeola! THAT sure exposed him to a
    lot of people!

Baxtercat likes this.
  12. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

well I'm not saying he's famous like Paul McCartney, Elvis or Michael Jackson, but while flamenco is not the most popular genre I think that for a folk genre is quite well known, and he was without any doubt THE most famous name by far (I don't think that even Camaron de la Isla comes close) in the genre.
    And as other said he played also with jazzrock players like John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola, so he was known also outside the flamenco world. Here in Italy when he died every tv channel mentioned it for instance.
    When Holdsworth died nobody said a word on tv (internet of course is a different thing).

Baxtercat likes this.
  13. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Dude....most non-musicians don't even know who Jeff Beck is!!!

14. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

That’s cool you are in Italy! I have visited there a few times and loved it. I’m not at all surprised in Europe Paco’s death was mentioned on mainstream TV. I think the awareness of music and highly respected musicians may be different in Europe. As a famous jazz trumpeter told me, if jazz players only toured in the US and not Europe, we would starve to death.

Yep saw him with McLaughlin and Di Meola some years ago. Because I knew Di Meola I hung out backstage after the show unfortunately never got to meet Paco, but did spend time all alone in an empty backstage with McLaughlin. That was great!

Baxtercat likes this.
  15. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

That's right.
    I have friends who love that 'hit' Mediterranean Sundance but still don't know the players names, etc.

[listening to that one now.
    Man, Paco de Lucia
    ...and Holdsworth of course :) ]

16. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I remember reading a story I think in Guitar World years ago about the guy who had Allan's red Charvel. I forget if he sold it to him or gave it to him...… and there might have been some drinking involved as well.

sahhas likes this.
  17. Gear Ears 4 Years

Gear Ears 4 Years Member

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Well, at least Allan left a decent amount of recorded material to us. Definitely an acquired taste, but number one in my book. He really connected my heart and my brain. Talk about a completely original virtuoso!

freedom's door and russ6100 like this.
  18. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

My brother is not a guitar player and he introduced me Holdsworth. My brother was mainly a drummer back then (nowadays he covers a lot of musical bases. We spoke with many non-guitar players back then who knew about Holdsworth. This was in California in the 80s.

I saw Holdsworth live at the Cotati Caberet in, like, '86 and I could not stay awake. I think that also happened at the Bruford/ Moraz Flags show in SF.
    At the Holdsworth show, IIRC I left the hall and hung out in the bar and outside.

19. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I love Allan's playing he has left for us too! I had the pleasure of meeting him twice and he was incredibly nice!!! I do prefer his playing on other peoples records UK, Tony Williams, etc... but what he left behind is beautiful and challenging!

20. stark

stark Supporting Member

No, Bill Delap is the master luthier that built the custom guitars Alan played for years. He has a number of Alan's personal items.
    [​IMG]

freedom's door and sahhas like this.