• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Does anything play like an old SG?

wcraven

Does anything play like the 70's SGs? Slim tapered neck at the head, a ton of bite, superfast high frets... Any suggestions?

Randy,
Is the second guitar from the left an SG/Les Paul with a changed pickguard, or a '66 or later with an added sideways vibrola and different truss rod cover?

Either way, nice guitars.

randy alameda

:BluesBros
it's a 62 Redone in 67 in Kalamazoo after being backed over by a Truck! .. long story ... I'll send ya short version..... Slide guitar monster tone ... think Duane 'live' @ fillmore!

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Had a '74 with a hole in it that I regret selling.

I remember saying at one rehearsal "This is the nicest guitar I have ever played".

What was I thinking? :(

surfshack

here's my '61......it's gotta thin wide neck , thinner than the '62's , but the tone with paf's is killer. complex sustain and hard rockin'. amazing for doing slide.......the sg is unique , i love it!

PaulS2

Silver Supporting Member
Here's my '71 - the most resonant piece of mahogany I have ever played. Great biting P90s which smoothen out very well rolled off just a touch...add in the warmth of the well-played wood and the tone is unreal.

Slim tapered neck, which isn't my fave, but the tone this guitar has easily makes up for anything like that. Great value in vintage guitars.

wcraven

I guess I have to look for another one. My real problem is not wanting to bring my 30 year old guitar on the road. Is a newer remake my best option for a back up

randy alameda

Probably your best bet ...... most of the custom shop guitars I have played have been suitable substitutes ... no road work in my immediate future, or I'd be calling the Nashville showroom. Try e-mailing Keary at kjordan@gibson.com, tell him I sent ya! He has been really good to me! Good Luck!:BluesBros

Rapmaster

I guess I have to look for another one. My real problem is not wanting to bring my 30 year old guitar on the road. Is a newer remake my best option for a back up
First off, some of you guys have some real nice collections of SGs. Hopefully, someday I can build a little collection myself.

Anyway, I don't think bringing a newer remake is necessarily a terrible option. Some guys get great results without the use of vintage instruments (Derek Trucks, for one, plays a '61 RI). I definitely don't blame you for babying a vintage piece. I'd think it's a logical move, especially if the one you have is all original. If it's been refinished, routed, modded, etc... maybe it's not as risky to pull it out on the road.

What am I talking about...I don't own any vintage instruments, lol

Dumo

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody played a U.S. Master's Hornet? Check the neck joint. I'm curious about those...

Rapmaster

Derek has been playing a 61 LP/SG lately, check out his photo's on the DTB myspace site, but he's still got that re-issue too!
http://www.myspace.com/thederektrucksband
Did not know that, thank you. I saw him at Crossroads this year, hopped the fence right into the VIP section and lemme tell you, he's phenomenal. Quite the minimalist gear wise too. Quick question for you though, how did you go about acquiring your collection of SGs? Long-time player?

And a question for Southbay, who did hte artwork on that SG in the center?

Top Bottom