Does buffer pedal need to be on/off??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shaggs, Feb 25, 2009.

1. shaggs

shaggs Member

If my last pedal was a buffer (boss dd-20 or nova delay) does it work the same whether the pedal was on or not?

Meaning that most of my board is true bypass and if my last pedal was one of these which is ON all the time should it be last or a buffer pedal that is usually off?

2. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Boss pedals have a buffer that is driving the output jack even when the footswitch is in the bypass position (or in the ON position).

Anytime a pedal is on, anything that came before it in the signal path is irrelevant as to true bypass or not, since that pedal is now driving the signal line.

Having the buffered pedal last in line should work well for you.

Like any rule of thumb, this one is subject to change based on your guitar, cables, pedals and amp. This is just a starting point: Let your ears be your guide.
    Use good quality, low capacitance guitar cords!

More reading on buffers:

True Bypass Measurements

Basic Buffers

Pedal Impedance

Buffers and True Bypass

Improved Wah Buffer

Free AC128s for Buffers

AMZ Super Buffer

Jfet Buffer

Leaky Transistor Buffer

regards, Jack

3. shaggs

shaggs Member

so if i was running the nova and a dd20 with just a tu-2 at beginning of chain (buffered)----> everything else true bypass from truebypass loop pedal, (about 7 pedals)-----> and it was either the nova or dd20 outside of the loop(as my last pedal before amp), which would you choose,?????? the nova gets used more for lead and the dd20 more for rhythm playing,____________________

4. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Personally, if you like buffers, I'd put the DD20 last in your chain, outside the loop box. I don't care for what the Nova does to the signal (bypassed and not), so I would put it in a bypass loop. Just my humble opinion. :)

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I thought I headr Bob Weil of VS say that a buffer should go first in the chain. Once the signal is converted to low impedance, it doesn't get pushed back up to high impedance again, does it?

6. shaggs

shaggs Member

^ i thought that first is best but last is 2nd best as it pushes your signal to the amp.

7. BillyJoeJimBob

BillyJoeJimBob Member

It depends on what you want the buffer to do specifically, but typically, putting it first does the most good as it drives the pedals with oomph.

Typically, no. But there are a handful of exceptions. The Rat, for example (per schematics I've seen) has a 100K output attenuator. Just plain stupid and gives this beast an output Z of 25K with the pot in the middle setting. I'm seeing some pedals with teeny tiny output coupling caps because some tinkerer-cum-pedal-company doesn't get it. Same problem as the rat but only affects the low frequencies. Plenty of other crappy designs out there too. Those passive ground loop isolators that are just transformers - they have a relatively high z output too (not bad designs, just nature of the beast).

Remember though that impedance in this scenario is relative. 25K output is probably fine driving 1Meg, but typically too soft for 100K. 1K driving guitar pedals is considered "low" but in other areas, stupidly high (like driving a clock input on a BBD).

8. shaggs

shaggs Member

so if i replaced some of the resistors and caps in the buffer circuit to better quality ones, like metal film, would that improve the quality of the buffer??

9. The Scrutinizer

The Scrutinizer Active Member

so does the Barber Launch pad work as a buffer when it is off?