Does Capacitor voltage matter?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by analog orange, Apr 30, 2005.

1. analog orange

analog orange Member

I've located a bunch of different .047µfd paper in oil caps that I'd like to try in some of my instruments. Does the voltage rating matter on any of these with regard to the use in a guitar (particularly a single coil strat)?

I found some .047µfd Vitamin Qs but they're rated at 100volts. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I'd seen most guitar caps rated at like 600volts or so.

One other thing. At the risk of seeming stupid... what does "µfd" stand for?

Thanks.

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

The voltage in your guitar is so small that a cap rated at 600V is serious overkill.

"µfd" stands for microfarad. If you see "uF", it is the same thing. A value found in many guitars is .022uF, although it is, by no means, the only value. You'll find .047 in old Teles, and .1uF in vintage Strats. The higher the value, the more treble will be rolled off.

3. analog orange

analog orange Member

Thanks for the replies.

I guess my only question is, does a 1000 volt cap sound any different than a 100 volt cap if they're both the same type/manafacturer and rating ie .047µfd

Thanks.

4. Improviser

Improviser Member

There should be no sonic effect, however the cap with the higher voltage rating will have thicker leads coming off it which may make it easier to solder in place for guitar electronics.

Coldacre likes this.
  5. analog orange

analog orange Member

Thanks. I really appreciate the info guys.