Does Crowther have a website?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 3, 2006.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Keep hearing about these hotcakes, how do i find this guy?

2. Medication

Medication Member

I can't find him either. Maybe you've already seen this, but hope it helps

3. n8b

n8b Member

4. BenFulton

BenFulton Member

This will get you straight to the man ; croth@clear.net.nz

coolio,

ben

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Looks like this is wrapped up, but just wanted to give a thumbs up on the Hotcake, I've had both of them, great sounding pedals. +1000.

7. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

nashvillesteve,
    What's your take on the regular Hotcake vs. the Bluesberry version? Or did you mean you've had both the mid-lift switch HC and the presence knob HC?
    Greg

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

+1001 Hotcake is the shiznit. :AOK

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I had the original hotcake (but with presence control) for years. Great pedal. Very clear sounding (got me the ABB @ Fillmore sound with the PRS and Ghia). Makes a great clean boost, as you can start with an uneffected signal with vol at noon or so and gain/presence controls at zero, then work your way where you want to go. Buffer is OK with me if it's a good one and this one don't sound bad. I used to just leave it on all the time as a clean boost. I didn't use the high gain sounds, this pedal works really well in front of an EL84 amp, it is great *with* the amp, not just in front of it.

Anyway, cut to Bluesberry Hotcakes being all about, "smoother gain structure," or what have you. I had gotten a Hellbaby and Hellbilly, which really take care of two flavors of nastiness or edge (or more than two if you mess with knobs), I use the Hotcake set the cleanest low-med gain, so I sold it to get the Bluesberry. I have really been enjoying that one as well. If you go to the Member Soundclips section, you can hear it on my most recently uploaded song on myspace (I'm trying to get some comments on it, maybe the playing was just really bad or I'm unpopular here- waa, waa, wah, wah...) he he. OK, so the clilps were with the Champ II (Ghia needs a new fuse methinks) and Z 1x12" cab and it wasn't turned up very loud (at home I don't really crank it, I'm that much more excited when sitting in with a band when I get to turn an amp up!), but it adds a definite punch to the sound, set lower gain with the single coil pickups on the PRS with less output, so there's not a whole lot of its capabilities presented here, but I think it sounds good nonetheless...

HTH, I type too much, huh?

10. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

How funny I was just going to email you.

11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

nashvillesteve,
    Hey, that cut sounded tasty...very nice. One more question about the Bluesberry; do you think the Bluesberry would be a better match with my 6v6 amps? I loved the 'Cake with my EL-84 amp (gone) but the high end can get a little irritating with the 6v6 amps...a little thin and fizzy. I have a Zendrive for smoooooooth so I'm not looking to cover that ground with the Bluesberry. Actually, I'm just looking for a Hotcake with a less fizzy (w/my 6v6 amp), slightly rounder top end while still retaining the slice with the presence control turned up. Does the Bluesberry sound like the ticket?
    Greg

12. drolling

drolling Member

I've read time & again that the Hotcake is the preferred choice for VOX amps.. and I know from my own experience that very, very few of the pedals I've tried sound good w/my AC-15 (TIM/Timmy & HoneyBee, an that's it..).

When I contacted Paul last year, he had plans for a double Cake in the works (both versions/parallel or series). Does anyone here know if these are available yet?

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The bluesberry has a smoother gain structure. That clip was recorded with a 6V6 1980 Champ II (Rivera-era Fender), I like what it does. I use it mainly as a clean-ish ballsy boost, punches up the tone and presence and heats up the signal a bit. I like the Carmen Ghia better with about everything, except I finally found a great use for master volume amps, even though the Champ II is not as loud as the Ghia, it can match it OK if you turn the master all the way up, run it through a Leslie cabinet with an 85 watt or so speaker (WeberVST C12CA) and adjust the actual volume level with the preamp volume control (and it stays cleaner longer, somewhat... I kind of wanted a "pushed" clean sound for the Leslie, it works great!). The Ghia is just a more fun amp to play, but I've gotten a lot of fun mileage out of the Champ II. Crappy speaker came in it (probably blown slightly) 8", but I had a speaker out installed on it, it's been fun ever since. Both amps have more headroom than the LovePedal 1/2 watt amp... I'd give the Bluesberry a try. The Ghia is not 100% vox clone, it's more of it's own thing, which could be described as brownface deluxe/vox/marshall micro-plexi vibe going on, but still different from all of those. I can play surf music convincingly with no reverb. It's that kind of fun reproduction of your playing- everything just sounds great through it.