Does Eric Johnson play too fast at times?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DSL74, Jan 17, 2020.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

The CORRECT short answer to the OP's question is:

NO!

He does what he does and it's GREAT. If it's too fast for you, drink a cup of coffee and try to keep up, or put on your Soft Cell album and boogie down! :p

Steve Snider and skronker like this.
  2. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

There is no "correct" answer.... it's all just a matter of opinion

rednoise and skronker like this.
  3. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

Anybody that plays faster than me, plays too fast. Same thing with drivers. I'm gonna post a couple of my quicker licks for people to have a reference of proper speed.

4. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions

OP, answer this.
    Why do you need to know whether other people hold the same opinion as yourself regarding the speed at which Eric Johnson plays at to execute certain musical passages?

5. DreamTheaterRules

Actually sir, this is not correct either. Not everything about music is an opinion. Much of it is fact, when the question is worded this way. Is a Corvette "too fast?" Maybe it's faster than you want to go, but no, it's not "too fast." For EJ to play "too fast" would mean he was playing out of time with the song he was playing. He doesn't.

If the OP had said "does he play faster than I would like" then the answer can be anything at all because that's all opinion. But when you say "does he play too fast" the answer is no. He doesn't play too fast for the song he's playing. As long as you're in time, there is no "too fast" or "too slow." If you are playing faster than the tempo of the song, then you're playing too fast even if you're not playing fast at all.

More importantly, is Marie Osmond TOO beautiful? She's 60 and still a drop dead knockout. Is she too beautiful? :bow

yfeefy likes this.
  6. Manny Scott

Manny Scott Member

EJ to me is not a fast player so I don’t understand the question....if this was about yngwie than....yes....

yfeefy, lousyatit and Lucidology like this.
  7. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Exactly what it was. To diffuse the sound so those sitting in direct line would not be hit dead on. I prefer no blanket. Just let it rip!!! Great show.

wiltel24 likes this.
  8. Scanloni

Scanloni Member

Sorry, but If EJ, or anyone else intentionally plays ahead of tempo than it’s not factually “too fast”, it’s simply a stylistic choice. Just as Willie Nelson doesn’t sing “too slow”, he does it on purpose as a stylistic choice.

yfeefy likes this.
  9. handtrix

handtrix Member

heh, Do you mean he does not slow down enough for others to figure out and steal his leads?!

'bout the only thing he is guilty of is, at times his Live tone sounds like there is a blanket over the speaker cabinet.

10. DreamTheaterRules

Clearly not what I was talking about. Pushing the tempo is not the same as playing out of time. Technically, it IS playing “out of time” but precisely, and for a purpose. It’s not just playing at a faster temp than the music, it’s playing ahead of the beat. Two different things.

spencer096 likes this.
  11. guitarjb44

guitarjb44 Supporting Member

Hmmm...interesting. I feel he sometimes plays too slow.

12. mikebat

mikebat Member

It’s not that he plays too fast, it’s that he plays fast too consistantly and doesn’t have enough variety in his phrasing that makes it start to sound samesy to some folks.

Personally, that’s what High Landrons is a song I revisit most often.

13. macula56

macula56 Member

He stole that from Joe B.

lousyatit likes this.
  14. johan

johan Member

his playing is too busy for me nowadays. he wants to include everything from the records, every little fill and change in tone plus include some "spontaneity". in a gigging environment with so many factors it's a difficult task.
    it's not the fast playing. it's the juggler attitude. on a perfect day, it's beautiful. on a not so perfect day it feels rushed and dare i say "unmusical". still - i love eric and would love to go see him if he sails across the pond.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    freedom's door likes this.
  15. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Gold Supporting Member

One of my all time favorite players. Never get tired of listening to him.

paulg and Jonathan31 like this.
  16. beckstriad

beckstriad I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife Gold Supporting Member

Is that Steve Jordan on drums? Great show!

17. prototype

prototype Member

i really like

Bristol Shore
    Manhattan
    Gem
    Ave Maria
    East Wes

and they are all totally devoid of what some people consider his signature of descending lightning-fast clapton pentatonic runs. EJ has had a long career and has pretty eclectic tastes... his music goes well beyond Cliffs of Dover and hot licks vids.

lousyatit and Jonathan31 like this.
  18. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

No, that's Brannen Temple.

beckstriad likes this.
  19. culiacant87

culiacant87 Member

I don’t mind the speed at all, his tone I’m not a fan of but take that with a grain of sodium since I often drool over thin and trebley (is that a word?) guitar sounds like old velvet underground tunes. I saw some YouTube video of Eric Johnson doodling on some fender guitars, and one of them had this sitar kind of attack, and he was playing some of the most beautiful doodles. I wanted him to keep playing that for hours but I think it was just a few seconds. I think he is a truly expressive soul. Respect.

20. ropiyas

ropiyas Member

Nothing really to add to the discussion...but here's EJ trying to fix his strap midsong...succesfully, of course!

FuzzyAce, James and GerryJ like this.