Does Every Good Guitarist own a Strat?

WWLaidback

So I tried several Strats at the store. I almost bought a Clapton Strat. The noiseless pick-ups sounded really good. Alas, the guitar was too heavy for me. I guess I'm just not good enough. The shoe don't fit. Oh well. Strats in general sound thin and noisey to me.

Otter351

If you're invited to a session or a gig and that person asks you to bring a Strat...you bring a Strat. Saying, "No, they sound thin" or "they're too heavy" isn't going to get you invited back. Now, I will get some push-back from people saying "If they're not paying me, I can do whatever I want". Well, just remember that free gigs can turn into paying gigs and reliable/accommodating players will almost always get the job over players that might actually be better

TYR

I've owned a Strat since the late 80s. I never understood them until owning and playing them for over a decade. I always had one just because all my guitar heroes played them. I always thought they sounded thin. Now I get and it and in the most basic sense, why people always say LPs are easier to play. Yes, LPs with the 24.75" scale length are "easier" but it's also that Strats make you work and find the tone as well, whereas with LPs, just plug it in and jam away.

HERSCHEL

How would you know? A lot of big, small and no- names have collected guitars they don't play out with. Some have endorsement deals, some just make the choice due to music or whatever.

WWLaidback

If you're invited to a session or a gig and that person asks you to bring a Strat...you bring a Strat. Saying, "No, they sound thin" or "they're too heavy" isn't going to get you invited back. Now, I will get some push-back from people saying "If they're not paying me, I can do whatever I want". Well, just remember that free gigs can turn into paying gigs and reliable/accommodating players will almost always get the job over players that might actually be better
I never had anyone ask that of me, but I get the point. I keep trying to make myself like the idea of playing one as my main axe. All the best have one, but I personally think Hendrix sounded smoother on a Gibson.

WordMan

Silver Supporting Member
Clint Eastwood, as Dirty Harry: “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

I had a great Strat for over a decade. After building a Tele and realizing I was very much a Tele guy, I sold the Strat. Years ago. Haven’t looked back. So it goes.

Last edited:

Benz2112

Supporting Member
Play whatever guitar you like? Steve Morse has pretty much played one guitar for 30 years, refretting it every year or two from all the abuse he puts it through. I wish I had that relationship with one guitar, but I kind of like getting different vibes from different guitars, with a strat style always giving me inspiration.

derekd

Supporting Member
Tools for the toolbox.

Strats have a distinct voice that's hard to get with other guitars. At the end of the day, it is a chunk of wood with a neck, much like any other guitar. It's easy enough to get the specs you like on one if you aren't married to Fender.

If you like the tones strats are known for, great. If not, lotsa other choices out there.

Trending Topics