Does Every Good Guitarist own a Strat?

mikebat

Every time I got a guitar I said “I should have gotten a strat”.

then I broke down and ordered a CS American Classic. That was in 95.

I have gotten other guitars since, but a SSS strat is a mainstay. You can’t beat the ergonomics, and you can get really unique tones.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
Although I’m primarily an LP humbucker player for live band work and our Blues Rock musical style, for my instrumental guitar work in recordings, the Strat for me is an invaluable tool. It has an acoustic quality that no other electric guitar has. Incredible rhythm guitar...Great lead guitar when used right.....Pickups mounted on a plastic pick guard, the tone from the tremolo bridge... everything..they are totally unique ..incredibly comfortable to play........ I have 9 electrics and 3 electric slide guitars ..and 1 Strat... would never ever sell it....listen to what Mark Knofler does with one.......enough said...

epauley

Lee is awesome. It seems the Strat required about 3 times more notes to make it work. Am I missing something?
I'm not sure but I don't have either problem. Although I have some nice Gibson's and PRS's, I perform exclusively with Strats anymore. With respect to a thin sound, I wonder if it's your amp or amp settings? What are you playing through?

BTW, you have NC Mountains as your location. I used to live in Black Mountain...my favorite area, second to none.

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
Lee is awesome. It seems the Strat required about 3 times more notes to make it work. Am I missing something?
Lee is awesome. Regarding the Strat and the number of notes required, sustain isn't everything. I love sustain, please don't get me wrong, but if a person really gooses the output into a decent amp the Strat can sing as well as any guitar. Just differently, especially the initial note attack.

WWLaidback

I'm not sure but I don't have either problem. Although I have some nice Gibson's and PRS's, I perform exclusively with Strats anymore. With respect to a thin sound, I wonder if it's your amp or amp settings? What are you playing through?

BTW, you have NC Mountains as your location. I used to live in Black Mountain...my favorite area, second to none.
Yeh, the amp by itself isn't enough -- even for humbuckers -- unless it's a Les Paul. My delay pedal takes care of sustain forever -- just turn up the repeats and minimize the delay time until it all blends.

Black Mountain is a long way from here, but I lived in the Asheville area at one time. I'm north of Boone now.

Last edited:

teleman55

Answer would be no.
That said, I've got one. It's not my main guitar but I love it. And I'll go on kick where it is my main one for a few months. It's versatile and has the whammy. It came in handy this summer. I was out for cancer surgery for 4 months. When I first could come back I used my Strat exclusively for about 3 months because it was light and the belly cut. Mine's about due for a new neck.

epauley

Yeh, the amp by itself isn't enough -- even for humbuckers -- unless it's a Les Paul. My delay pedal takes care of sustain forever -- just turn up the repeats and minimize the delay time until it all blends.
Sorry, I just noticed that your amp is listed. Surprising that a 100w tube amp isn't enough. All of Western NC is beautiful country.

WWLaidback

Surprising that a 100w tube amp isn't enough.
It isn't about volume. It's about playing so you can be heard. For example, dotted eighth notes are one way to cut through the mix. 88 db is our limit for the audience, and we're already there. I can't push the volume anymore, or people complain.

The_Bell

I agree with others that the answer to OP's question is no.

I would not consider myself a good player, but what I like about them is their interchangeability and the fact that parts and upgrades are easy to find. No other model guitar has as many upgrade choices readily available as the strat.

doc

Supporting Member
No.

But guitars based on the Strat design are the most ubiquitous electric guitars on the planet, and finding a decent one is easy and cheap, so I'd say most electric guitarists own some version of it. Doesn't have a thing to do with if the guitarist is good or not.

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
Probably most do, but not owning a strat wouldn't be a sign of a bad guitarist, just a sign they are very particular.
I can't really imagine not having one. I have two and I feel like I need at least 3 more.

Trending Topics