Does Every Good Guitarist own a Strat?

scotty31

I never had anyone ask that of me, but I get the point. I keep trying to make myself like the idea of playing one as my main axe. All the best have one, but I personally think Hendrix sounded smoother on a Gibson.
It can happen. Many i've played with will axe for a tone, or a particular sound. I've even had a singer ask for a look (they liked the Black Falcon and wanted it on stage...which was a shame, i hated playing that guitar and the tone it gave out).

I love a Strat. I've had one since i started playing (same one too). But i don't think i could ever only have a Strat. It needs the ying to it's yang.
At the very least, Strat & 335.

JaiRamana

I use to own a MIJ 62’ reissue. I modded it some but never loved the vintage radius and it was heavy. Sold it. Been missing the tone for a few years but couldn’t find one with the specs I wanted. So I ordered a 60’s road worn sunburst body and a Robert Cray neck. I will take it in for a proper set up. Total weight on this one should be a light 7 lbs. Cant wait.

My ‘62 copy has the true 7.25” radius too and it’s rough but...I love it. It just doesn’t work....but yet it does. I got tha strat gene I guess. But forget low action or forget bends. Can’t have both on a 7.25” radius.

I gotta have the bends so my action is high AF On that guitar. My Fender AD is 9.5” or 10” so much easier to play and stupid low action. But I actually prefer the Vintage copy as it turned out. Thicker neck, much better tremolo (Wilkinson) than fenders these days. And it’s relic job so I play it with abandon. It was $600 new. Best $600 I ever spent.

pinfloi

I hope that when you think "Strat" you are not biased thinking about one specific brand that, although it was pioneer, it has already been surpassed

Mpcoluv

Supporting Member
To me, a strat style has great ergonomics and a sound that can’t really be covered by another guitar design. So most accomplished guitar players I know have or used to have a strat style.
IMHO everyone needs a strat. Then a tele and a DGT also....

WWLaidback

It can happen. Many i've played with will axe for a tone, or a particular sound. I've even had a singer ask for a look (they liked the Black Falcon and wanted it on stage...which was a shame, i hated playing that guitar and the tone it gave out).
Gretsch is a jangly guitar. Was it a country-western band or something?

EasTXan

Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry: “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

I had a great Strat for over a decade. After building a Tele and realizing I was very much a Tele guy, I sold the Strat. Years ago. Haven’t looked back. So it goes.
Brother from a different mother ;)

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
For ages and ages I never thought about owning a Strat. Back in the early 80s I bought a used 70s Strat that I simply turned and re-sold for a small profit.

About 5-6 years ago I bought a Lentz Strat and realized how cool it was to have a Strat that was overtly resonant, had a neck carve to my specs and had custom wound pickups that were a bit higher output than a vintage Strat and were really balanced.

Totally changed my thoughts about Strats in general. I currently own three and wold not give an of them up.

Trending Topics