Does Every Good Guitarist own a Strat?

mwc2112

Supporting Member
My Strat I bought in the late-90s is my only "never sell" guitar. Sometimes I get something new and the Strat gathers dust for a period of time, but there's just something that always brings me back to it. I've switched out the electronics a few times (current incarnation is an HSS) and I've put in Callaham saddles/block, but the neck and body stay constant.

JaiRamana

That’s a BE50 on full gain with single coils. There’s gonna be some noise alright. But in a band situation you won’t really notice.

Point of his video was he’s demonstrating a BE50 on highest gain, which is full on new metal gain, with a strat and you can still very much hear the difference between all 5 pup positions.

Last edited:

musicman1

Lets face it a strat is a mount rushmore gtr. I had one built in 1984 by a great friends gtr shop. They had started building house strat partsocaster gtrs mainly using esp vintage necks and bodies. You got a limited choice of colors as well as pick guard colors, electronics and trems. I used this gtr most of my full time gigging career and then retired it when I bought a few other gtrs. I recently had the electronics re done for the 4th or 5th time and have started gigging the gtr again. I do like the 7.25 radius as it feels like it has wider string spacing than my other gtrs. I dont really like the vintage frets that much so im contemplating a re fret.
Thing about the strat is its so versatile and covers so much ground that its almost impossible not to have one in your working collection.

Last edited:

JaiRamana

Standard Strat pickup is noisey.... see whut I mean?

Personally I can’t stand active pups. My Strandberg came with Fluence moderns and I really really wanted to like them. Very inconvenient not to like them. Played them and could not get them out of the guitar fast enough. Just me. I’m passive all the way.

pak1001

..and I had 2 tele customs... I always gravitated to the humbucker at the neck... now I have a thinline (Hamer Newport pro).... It's somewhere between an LP, a tele custom, and a 335. Not as bold as an LP, not as twangy as a tele, and not as acoustic as a 335. This is my kinda sound. Nice honk on the low end. Also makes a great slide guitar. BTW, he has a strat too. ;)

I am also now a "Hamer Guy".

KennyM

Supporting Member
Don’t need a Strat to be a good guitarist, but hard to imagine being a good working guitarist without one somewhere in the bag of tricks.

1973Marshall

So I tried several Strats at the store. I almost bought a Clapton Strat. The noiseless pick-ups sounded really good. Alas, the guitar was too heavy for me. I guess I'm just not good enough. The shoe don't fit. Oh well. Strats in general sound thin and noisey to me.
Never met a great guitarist that didn’t have a Strat (counting knock offs here).

People can lie to themselves all they want but it’s the truth.

Must have tool of the trade.

WWLaidback

I am also now a "Hamer Guy".
What kind did you get?
Mine was made in New Hartford, CT. It looks like Fender bought out the brand and moved it to asia.
Hamer owners have been kind of like a cult for a long time. They had a forum somewhere on the internet.

Last edited:

BCy2k

So I tried several Strats at the store. I almost bought a Clapton Strat. The noiseless pick-ups sounded really good. Alas, the guitar was too heavy for me. I guess I'm just not good enough. The shoe don't fit. Oh well. Strats in general sound thin and noisey to me.
Have you tried a non Fender type strat? With noiseless pickups? I've tried to buy 'real' strats on more than one occasion. I've never had any luck with a Fender Strat. And I really wanted to like one enough to take it home. I had the money in my pocket, but it didn't happen. Then I tried some older used MIJ strats. They're not all created equally, but mine is pretty awesome. I put in less than $1k and put together a magnificent specimen using a MIJ neck thru build. With the pickups, tuning machines & wiring per my preference. YMMV ...

Trending Topics