• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Does Every Good Guitarist own a Strat?

jrockbridge

Hey JW, or anybody else, is it just me or is a Strat out of place on Room 335? The gal is talented, but a Strat for this song named after a Gibson ES 335? Maybe it's meh....

Compare that to the real deal:

The Strat sounds great in that clip. It reveals the nuances of the playing.

The playing is fantastic in the live clip but the first 335 does not reveal as much of the nuance of the playing in this particular recording. Then again, it is a live recording rather than a studio cut. The second 335 cuts better and you can hear much more nuance.

Last edited:

WWLaidback

there are no rules.
I can appreciate breaking the conventional rules to come up with something new, but you have to know the rules before you can break them, especially with jazz.

this guy isn't playing on the street ...
I was hoping to see a crowd that paid money to hear your guy play jazz on a Strat. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm still waiting. You video doesn't even sound like jazz to me.

and he sounds better than all of your links too
I'd pay money for Benson at a jazz concert and he plays a hollowbody. Your example-Strat-video started out sounding like Christmas music to me then it evolved into its own thing... nothing wrong with that.... but it doesn't sound like jazz.

So, maybe I'm wrong. Let's ask your guy.... Okay... here's what he calls "disco jazz", and I like the guitar he chose for the job.

Last edited:

nospickups

Silver Supporting Member
Ditch the strat and get a tele, or better yet an esquire. I played a strat for the better part of 10yrs and I wish I could go back in time and replace it with a tele/esquire.

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
Never thought I would...then The Edge Strat appeared and checked every box I needed...beloved:

WWLaidback

The Strat sounds great in that clip. It reveals the nuances of the playing.

The playing is fantastic in the live clip but the first 335 does not reveal as much of the nuance of the playing in this particular recording. Then again, it is a live recording rather than a studio cut. The second 335 cuts better and you can hear much more nuance.
As a listener, I can say studio recordings are better than live in most situations. I think Larry Carlton was Stratless during the 70s when he played lead guitar for Steeley Dan (but I could be wrong). He bought this Strat in the 1980s. He also bought a Tele.

Last edited:

WWLaidback

Good luck with your opinions.
I'm still waiting for your example of a Strat jazz guitarist that can survive. You insisted it was so. So now I'm a little bit disappointed. I actually thought you were credible. My mistake. :facepalm

Last edited:

WWLaidback

Never thought I would...then The Edge Strat appeared and checked every box I needed...beloved:
I tried and liked the sound and weight of the Edge Strat. It was a bit noisey for me, and I could pass on the locking tuners. The two-point whammy bar is a winner. The Edge spent a fortune on sound effects, so I hear.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood anyone that didn’t own a Strat :)
Seriously there are more Strats out there than any other, that should say a lot.
I've never understood why anyone would intentionally choose to buy one when they could use that money towards a proper guitar like a Les Paul.

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
The Edge Stratocaster pulled me over from decades of other makes. Glad I succumbed. It’s a fantastic guitar and I position and 2 position are musical beyond belief.

WWLaidback

The Edge Stratocaster pulled me over from decades of other makes. Glad I succumbed. It’s a fantastic guitar and I position and 2 position are musical beyond belief.
The tone is definitely "Edge" tone. The guitar is lighter than a Clapton. What amp are you using?

Trending Topics