• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Does Every Good Guitarist own a Strat?

flume

Platinum Supporting Member
The tone is definitely "Edge" tone. The guitar is lighter than a Clapton. What amp are you using?
it comes to life with mid and small amps. The 68 Princeton was great. Easily a winning combo for many sounds. I’ve been digging it with Matchless amps like the Laurel Canyon. Seems almost custom made for each other.

Hawkmoon269

Silver Supporting Member
I own three strats, and they're all completely different guitars. One is very light (an early 90's Korean Squire, with a pressboard body) but it's actually my favorite to play. It was extremely noisy, however. I redid the pickups and electronics and that helped but there was still a fair amount of noise.

I ended up buying a shielding kit from StewMac. It's basically copper foil with adhesive on ones side that you line the cavity of the guitar with, as well as the inside of the pickguard. It was amazing. Not only was noise substantially reduced but it felt like the sound was clearer and had more body and definition. It kind of made me wonder why fender didn't do this in the factory on their high-end strats.

lowyaw

So I tried several Strats at the store. I almost bought a Clapton Strat. The noiseless pick-ups sounded really good. Alas, the guitar was too heavy for me. I guess I'm just not good enough. The shoe don't fit. Oh well. Strats in general sound thin and noisey to me.

I'd rephrase it as "does a guitarist, who gets really good, end up playing a Strat?" my current point of view is "probably yes". Although it's not a hard rule :)

So I tried several Strats at the store. I almost bought a Clapton Strat. The noiseless pick-ups sounded really good. Alas, the guitar was too heavy for me. I guess I'm just not good enough. The shoe don't fit. Oh well. Strats in general sound thin and noisey to me.
Save for the neck pup, they are thin and noisy.....which is part of their appeal to many players. Although, it has much less to do with that and much more to do with the lineage. If Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour played something else, well, you get the idea.

A strat to me is much like a butter knife: very utilitarian, but doesn't cut through much unless you're giving it some hot licks.

harvey j

The answer is no.

BCy2k

This is an awful lot of unnecessary drivel just to say ... gee ... Strats aren't for me ... how can anyone play one of those things?

So you fancy yourself a big shot? How much airplay do you get? How many CDs have you made? Are you published? When did you last gig? Are you a full time pro? Or are you just another sub-average know it all TGP gear nazi?

WWLaidback

This is an awful lot of unnecessary drivel just to say ... gee ... Strats aren't for me ... how can anyone play one of those things?
I've been looking. If guitar gear was free you'd have a point.

So you fancy yourself a big shot?
no. Even if I was good enough to be one.
How much airplay do you get?
none
How many CDs have you made?
none
Are you published?
yes, but it's old. Here's me 12 years ago on cheap recording gear, and a thin-sounding guitar: https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6399911
Here's me on a slide guitar with zero sustain (ouch). It sure kept me busy: https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7165497
Here's an acid-rocker I composed, the lead guitarist met all your requirements and had his own late-night tv show where he performed acid-rock videos. He's dead now RIP. He's playing a Strat, I'm doing rhythm: https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6582123
When did you last gig?
yesterday
Are you a full time pro?
I'm retired...
Or are you just another sub-average know it all TGP gear nazi?
hmmm... I like to hear the worst before I buy

Likewise lets see your portfolio if you don't mind.

Last edited:

BCy2k

lets see your portfolio if you don't mind.
I have 24 years of experience as a staff composer/producer for 3 different music production libraries. We get airplay every day (over 1 billion tv viewers & radio listeners daily average) on 5 continents.

http://www.downloadhdfx.com/pg/jsp/demo/whoishdfx_1.jsp

I don't know how many CDs I've made. It was well north of 100 before we switched to using web delivery. My last gig was Saturday night for a sold out ticketed show. I've also taught guitar at the university level and I'm a publishes author. I don't consider myself a big shot either, but I do know a thing or two. I play several Strat like guitars.

Last edited:

WWLaidback

I have 24 years of experience as a staff composer/producer for 3 different music production libraries. We get airplay every day (over 1 billion tv viewers & radio listeners daily average) on 5 continents.

I don't know how many CDs I've made. It was well north of 100 before we switched to using web delivery. My last gig was Saturday night for a sold out ticketed show. I've also taught guitar at the university level and I'm a publishes author. I don't consider myself a big shot either, but I do know a thing or two. I play several Strat like guitars.
wow.. That's respectable. How can you be teaching music theory and then say there are no rules to jazz? to me -- 4/4 time is still 4/4 time as a rule.

BCy2k

wow.. That's respectable. How can you be teaching music theory and then say there are no rules to jazz? to me -- 4/4 time is still 4/4 time as a rule.
I didn't say there are no tendencies, but there really are no rules.

I'm not a Strat guy. I'm sure most would say I'm not a particularly good guitarist as well.

But both those things being said, Strat-style guitars make tones that non-Strats don't. I like having the option of playing a Strat, even though given my druthers I'd be playing a Tele or Les Paul. So I do have a Strat, to keep that option open. On the Gibson side, I'm the same way with SGs. I prefer Pauls but do have 1 SG just because.

Trending Topics