• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Does Every Good Guitarist own a Strat?

BCy2k

But you just made a rule that works -- that there are ALWAYS exceptions to the "known" rules -- otherwise those rules would be the rules "in their current form". In the science community, that scenario means the "current" model is too simple, and we lack all the information.

If music is indeed your forte, then there appears to be plenty of work to do. At the end of it -- will the rules be too complicated to apply? Maybe so. :cool:
These rules you keep speaking of don't apply to any form of music that's been around since recording technology came into existence. Which is why there are no rules in any contemporary music. Please give an example of a musical era that actually had rules along with an example of one rule relevant to that era. Heck, just name one musical rule regardless of era.

And I do mean music rule, not a musical tendency. They're not the same thing. LOL, and 4/4 time ... is not a "music rule," that's known as a time signature, just FYI.

Last edited:

WWLaidback

These rules you keep speaking of don't apply to any form of music that's been around since recording technology came into existence. Which is why there are no rules in any contemporary music. Please give an example of a musical era that actually had rules along with an example of one rule relevant to that era. Heck, just name one musical rule regardless of era.

And I do mean music rule, not a musical tendency. They're not the same thing. LOL, and 4/4 time ... is not a "music rule," that's known as a time signature, just FYI.
With you, a rule isn't a rule.... even a time signature doesn't apply... I think that pretty well explains the rest in a band setting...

Last edited:

BCy2k

Noise has no rules. 4/4 time is a rule if you want to play in our band. We have no use for someone that can't keep time.

BTW: How do you copyright without rules?
Yeah. Okay, Imma help you out with some invaluable music trivia here ... baroque music ... these are they guys with all the rules: no parallel 5ths, no parallel octaves, no awkward intervallic leaps - these are just 3 of the musical rules you have to follow in order to compose authentic baroque music - the kind of stuff Bach wrote.

Your confusing music theory with rules. An honest music theory teacher will tell you music theory is the study of musical tendency, the study of decomposing of music. Looking what makes it tick.

LOL - the copyright question is a good one. A thoroughly OT subject. Copyright is a law, not a rule. Right now I don't know too many copyright owners who are happy with the current state of copyright law or enforcement. Myself included. That's another talk for another time.

WWLaidback

Copyright is a law, not a rule. Right now I don't know too many copyright owners who are happy with the current state of copyright law or enforcement. Myself included. That's another talk for another time.
Copyright is both a law and a rule (IMHO). Copyright music usually has a written tabliture that communicates the substance of the intellectual property in a way that is unmistakeable according to the conventions of the the profession. Maybe you need to define what a "rule" is. I think it is semantical. Would it help if I called it "conventions" instead of "rules"?

BTW: Every effect has a cause. Why is music any different?

Last edited:

BCy2k

Dude, are you actually going to lecture me on copyright now? I don't even know how many copyrights I own, but I can safely tell you it's well into the thousands. My producer, also a attorney, owns copyrights too. He's sued people for copyright infringement of stuff he owns, more than once, and he's never lost. He didn't do the litigating personally, but I worked closely enough with him to know a thing or two about copyright. It tends to be referred to as copyright law, but call it what you want. All good.

As for the cause & effect thing ... I'm sorry ... I just don't have any f**ks left to give today ...

WWLaidback

Dude, are you actually going to lecture me on copyright now? I don't even know how many copyrights I own, but I can safely tell you it's well into the thousands. My producer, also a attorney, owns copyrights too. He's sued people for copyright infringement of stuff he owns, more than once, and he's never lost. He didn't do the litigating personally, but I worked closely enough with him to know a thing or two about copyright. It tends to be referred to as copyright law, but call it what you want. All good.

As for the cause & effect thing ... I'm sorry ... I just don't have any f**ks left to give today ...
Likewise for your Strat jazz guitarist that can survive in the real world. Boy was that a nothing-burger. Talk about endless blather... :facepalm

Last edited:

jay76

I have strats for all occasions;

1. S/S/S (The bridge pup has a metal base like Tele pups)
2. S/S/H The H is a PAF - Fender spaced by Radioshop
3. Billy Corgan strat - These single coil sized buckers sound more open than normal buckers and less compressed. Really great pups and just a great hard tail strat altogether, covers all grounds.
4. S/S/P90 The P90 is single coil sized Rio Grande P90. Maybe the most versatile strat I own.

My LP's very rarely get played. I only really play the 2011 Tremolo BFG as that does alot of tones what with a P90 in the neck and bucker in the bridge.