Does GC take pedal trade-ins?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stratm69, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I have a pedal that I'm contemplating on letting go.

Guitar Center has the pedal I want.

Would they at least do a partial trade + cash on my end?

I know some music stores won't take pedal trade-ins, so I was just wondering...

Thanks!

2. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

I have done it in the past.

3. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Yes guitar center does. They'll even buy it from you - but I believe you'll get better value if you trade.

4. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Excellent, thanks for the fast responses!

5. succor

succor Member

Are you open to trying Craigslist? The difference in sale price will probably be worth your time versus working with GC. If you have to use GC, look for the specials where they provide 10-15% discount towards the new item you're trading up to.

6. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

Beware of trading your gear in @ GC - they give BELOW bottom dollar...You are better off trying craigslist or the emporium here...

7. taez555

taez555 Member

Yes they do. They'll usually give you about 50% of it's normal ebay completed value.

8. dlab

dlab Member

Best value if you trade in. But still not what you'd get if you sold it yourself.

9. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I've done it several times with satisfactory results. They will also give you 10-15% off the new item if you are trading.

Despite what we'd like to think, some pedals do not sell well or at all in the emporium.

10. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

At least compared to any other local shop (in my experience), GC has the worst trade-in policy I've ever experienced. They will give you 50% of the lowest ebay sale they can find that day. You'd do way better selling it yourself.

11. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

This is correct. (I knew a manger at GC and he basically quoted that....and would check ebay listings to come up with an "offer")

And with that being the fact that it is, CG is only a good option if you need it now, as you will be taking a hit off of what you would get for it somewhere else.

As for the 10-15% "discount" you can get that pretty much any month without having a trade in.

12. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I agree with you 100%, but I also agree 100% with post #9.

13. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I once brought a very nice condition USA strat with a beautiful sunburst finish (no nicks or scratches) into GC and they offered me only $250 for it for a trade in on a tele. After haggling with them, for probably over an hour, I got them up to only $350 lol, and that wasn't even a set price and they were still saying maybe. Much much much better deal to sell on CL.

14. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Yeah - I took in a mint Boss RV-5 once with box, instructions, etc. They offered me $30 trade value, $20 cash. :rotflmao

15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Throw it on CL for a day or two... you'd be surprised how quickly it may sell and you'll get double your money. As many have already said, GC trades are not the best $ value.

I've had good success using CL to sell stuff and the emporium here too.

16. Yunpac

Yunpac Member

+1 They told me they would give me 50% of what they could sell it for.

I was looking at a new Sweetsound Mojo Vibe - I would have needed to trade them 2 pedals that they could sell for $300 a piece.

OUCH - I left and waited a week and sold them here. Just don't get sucked into having to have the pedal RIGHT NOW!

17. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

The gamestop of gear.

18. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It depends on what it is. They probably will offer you next to nothing unless it's a pedal they can flip for quite a bit more quickly. It is a business after all.

19. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

don't do it. unless you have an old mxr phaser. i got $45 credit plus 15% and put it towards my Les Paul. I ended up getting $400 off my Les Paul. That's a good trade.

Wouldn't any other way.

They lowball like you wouldn't believe. But still... hope this doesn't turn into the 875th GC Sucks Thread.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  20. Madsen

Madsen Member

they lowballed me when i brought a pedal in long ago. if you don't have the box & are looking for cash they basically treat you like it's stolen.

some friends have gotten great deals on new gear with trade ins though.