Does Gear Fetish (GFS) have a Duncan Phat Cat clone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NoahL, Mar 17, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's played them. I'm kind of skint right now and can't afford the $159 for a new pair of the actual Duncans.

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

FWIW, the Dream 90 is thinner souding and the Mean 90 is more middy (but in a p90-ish way), IMO.

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

Sounds like you're not overly impressed?

4. echale3

echale3 Member

Here's the skinny... The GFS Mean 90 comes extremely close to sounding like a classic Gibson P-90 tone, but in a humbucker case--about as close is you can get without the pickup actually being a Gibson P-90.

If you are considering Phat Cats, then obviously, P-90 tone in a humbucker-routed guitar is what you are looking for, and the Mean 90s nail that middy, snarling P-90 tone. The icing on the cake is that a new pair is priced just under half the price that a pair of new Phat Cats run.

I have a pair installed in my Faded SG and love them. String articulation is excellent. The neck Mean 90 is RW/RP to the bridge one so it's humbucking in the middle position. Basically, with the pups changed out, I've tonally converted my Faded SG to an SG Classic, for a lot less bread than it would have cost me if I'd have bought the SG Classic instead of the Faded SG.

5. NoahL

NoahL Member

thanks, that's a good description. i'm getting a cheap fender squier jagmaster and i wanted to take out the duncan-designed humbuckers and put in something a little more articulate but still aggressive. sounds like the mean 90s are the ticket. i had a phat cat in the bridge of an Agile LP clone, and it was a pretty pickup, but not as snarly as i wanted.