Does guitar just not cut through a live mix well?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cantstoplt021, May 10, 2015.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Something I've noticed with bands, both pro touring and local, is that of all the classic band instruments (guitar, bass, drums, keys) it is always the guitarist that is hard to hear. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like guitar doesn't cut through that well unless they play loudly. With drums, bass and keys they seem to all have their own sonic place without having to crank the volume. Drums you can hear and feel fine, bass you can feel, keys just seem to magically float and be heard perfectly, but guitar struggle. Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed this with a bunch of bands.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I guess a bunch of the bands you see have crappy sound guys. Ordinarily the bass sounds non existent to me. In any case it's not really that hard to get everything to sit well in the mix.

3. rizla

rizla Member

I get sick of hearing guitars to far out front in the mix!

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Unless it's a power chord rock band the rhythm guitar is generally subtle. When a solo comes, it's really up to the player to turn up and stand out, not the sound man (unless you're big time). Sometimes it's hard to judge FOH balance from stage.

That said, a lot of players EQ while practicing and never adjust for the band mix or the room.

5. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I saw Skynyrd and Bad Company last summer.

The sound for Skynyrd was a jumbled mess. I could barely hear anything.
    The sound for Bad Company was perfect, I could hear every instrument.

What was different? The gear? The volume? Sure. But most obvious was the sound guy.

6. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Honestly I have rarely encountered a band where the guitar was too far back in the mix. Seems to me bass is the instrument that is often too big or too little.

7. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Depends on the guitar tone as well. Mid scooped tones will get buried in the mix easier.

8. Bankston

Bankston Member

Yep. You can sure make the sound guy's job easier by knowing that mids are where the guitar sits in the mix.

9. Brooks

Brooks Member

guitars often are competing w/ vocals for the same mid frequencies, so they often seem too loud or not loud enough

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I've observed the same thing. The flipside is that the guitar player realizes that's happening and turns up his gear to a painful 11. Here's my take on the situation...

1. Using certain popular single coil sized humbuckers in a Strat tends to compress the sound. The guitar sounds good at home but gets lost in the upper-mid band mix. Solution, use a full size HB or mike the amp and mix it properly.

2. Poor amp placement is another cause. People sit the amp on the floor directly behind them and it gets muffled. Use an amp stand or even a chair to get it off the ground. Off to the side, elevated and tipped slightly upward will get the best results. You might even cure #1 to some degree if you don't insist on being cool with your amp aimed at your backside.

3. Guitar amp bleeding into the vocal mike mix. This can get ugly sounding, turning the band sound into sonic mud.

11. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

1. A lot of players dial in too full a sound to cut through - then they'll either get buried in a mix competing with the other instruments or the soundman turn em down to make some room for the other instruments. You really need a fairly nasty sound (in isolation) to cut through a band mix

2. Also, a lot of modern soundmen seem to regard the guitar as one of the lesser instruments in the mix. It does seem like a modern trend to bury the guitar as an afterthought to the rest of the mix.

3. sometimes the guitar isn't meant to "cut through", to stand out. Sometimes the role is to be one of the spices rather than the main ingredient.

12. Ogre

Ogre Member

One factor in the lower level bands, is the fact that many musicians overplay, leaving no room & space in the mix for everything to be heard clearly. In my experience keyboardists & guitarists are the prime offenders.

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I agree it happens often. For one thing, even if the guitar is loud on stage, it doesn't project like the bass/drums and even Organ.
    I use a wireless a lot... it's depressing. You get out in a room at a club and WTF? where my guitar?
    The only solution is a sound man, guitar mic'd and making the sound man aware of the mix you want.
    The overplaying thing happens too... my experience is not the guitar, but especially the bass and drums. For some reason, as soon as someone takes a lead, usually guitar or another solo instrument.. the bass and drums go wild. Geez... just keep the groove guys...

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Pretty much - not being able to hear guitar well enough is almost never a problem with bands...

- georgestrings

15. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Lots of factors:
    • the gear
    • Sound tech
    • the venue
    • And the most important - where you were sitting at the show

That last one is a huge factor.

16. Lephty

Lephty Member

This. I would add drummers to the list of primary offenders.

17. sideman

sideman Member

agreed. also guitarists often think they are not up in the mix enough, which is why they are often too loud (if allowed to control volume). the two things i usually find too loud in club bands - vocals and guitar.

18. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

Maybe OP goes to too many shows and is losing his hearing?

19. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Good thread. Not to hijack it but I have a question:

People say 'mids' are good, and 'scooped' is not, okay I get that (I found that when using those 2 & 4 Strat sounds--it was like the guitar disappeared).

So why is it that a Tele is generally accepted to be great in a band ('nothing cuts like a Tele, etc.), whereas a humbucker guitar people say 'gets buried'? For example, an SG with 2 humbuckers. Doesn't the SG have more 'mids' than the Tele?

20. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

This is the biggest thing that I've learnt. When I was gigging regularly I would dial in a killer tone on my own before the gig, but it would just get drowned out. The other guitarist was using some ****** digitech pedal which sounded absolutely awful on its own, but in the mix it cut like a knife and didn't sound too bad.