Does guitar weight matter to you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Six_string_belief, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Aside from anything else, the idea that one can extrapolate information about personal attitudes from something as disparate as instrument weight says more about the person making that judgement than anyone else.

jamester likes this.
  2. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely true, and the reason for my tongue-in-cheek dig...

It's fatiguing that these guitar weight threads usually end up as a battle, with accusations that those who prefer lighter weight guitars are weak sissy-boys who need to lose some weight and work out more. Others end up feeling the need to justify their preference by detailing back issues and surgeries, instead of just being allowed to like what they like without all the mocking machismo from others. Not to mention the constant argument of "light weight doesn't mean better tone", even though few people actually say that or use that as a reason for their preference.

Anyway, I was pretty proud of "Butthurt Boat Anchor Boys", was hoping it would catch on haha ;)

bluesoul and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

A little bit... but not a lot.

6.5 - 7.5 is nice.

4. Brettski

Brettski Member

I generally don't care til I've been standing there for two or three hours with it. I still don't judge a guitar by how much it weighs. I have an 8.5+ lb Strat that sounds beautiful. The Les Paul in my avatar is FIFTEEN and growls like an SOB.

IAO and Ray175 like this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

It does have an alliterative charm.

jamester likes this.
  6. mikefair

mikefair Member

At 65 weight really starts to matter near the end of the second set. So yeah, for me weight is a factor.

7. Jedi

Jedi Member

Not when I was in my 20s or 30s. Now that I am older it is absolutely important. YMMV

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

When we exclude caveats and "excuses" we kinda eliminate the individuality that makes discussing guitars on an internet forum interesting, no? I enjoy understanding why others don't share my views, so long as everything remains civil.

8nthatK likes this.
  9. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

Weight is a factor for me due to some physical issues. That being said I bought my favorite Telecaster sight unseen without having any idea of the weight. It ended up being a little over 6 lbs and I play it more than my other guitars combined. Just comfortable to play.

10. chicrito

chicrito Member

As of today, it is my main concern

woof* likes this.
  11. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

Since I often wear them for hours at a time, and shlep them around on public transit, yes, it matters to me.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

It matters to me, sure, but I don't have set requirements, even for particular models.

In terms of buying online, that still applies, but I'm not sending someone thousands of dollars for a guitar that I don't know basic information about, and weight is IMO basic information. Does it matter if a guitar is 8 pounds 4 ounces or 8 pounds 6 ounces? Not to me, but I see someone list a weight as 8 pounds 6 ounces I have some confidence that he actually weighed it and even if it's not that accurate it's more likely to be close enough.

Is weight a property, or is it a measurement of that property, expressed as a number? I go with the former. When buying in person, which is mostly what I do, the actual number isn't important, but the weight is still a factor. Some have said they care about the feel, which to me is the property not the number, as far as the weight aspect goes.

13. LoadedGoat

LoadedGoat Member

Prefer them lighter..but no..weight is not a factor.

14. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

About 8.5 lbs is my practical limit for gigging

15. somedude

somedude Member

If I found the best sounding guitar was 15 lbs I’d rather go to the gym than play the second best sounding guitar.

16. macrossgeorge

macrossgeorge Member

Heavier guitars almost always sound better but my body is starting to decline and I have sold very sentimental guitars due to weight due to back issues. For gigs and jams I have to use lightweight and ergonomic guitars especially since most of my gigs and jams average 3 - 4 hours. Also because of tendonitis and tennis elbow I have had to go to short scale 24" and when things get really painful I have to move down to my 22" scale ibanez mikro. One of the best sounding guitars I played was a friend's 3 humbucker Les Paul and it is the heaviest guitar I have ever touched. I sounded amazing but I could only handle it for one song and had to put it down. Playing sitting down is not good for me ergonomically either for more than a song or two.

17. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Not really... I actually kind of like em on the heavy side to be honest.

18. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Guess I missed the joke here. I must be a bit thick, I don't see the humor.

https://www.spondylitis.org/Ankylosing-Spondylitis

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I know what AS is. The joke is that as you see even in this thread, there are guys who think those of us who regard weight as a factor as weaklings, when in fact there are many reasons why a player might consider weight important.

If you don't see the humor, okay. No offense was intended. For what it's worth, I have AVN in my hip which requires me to take weight into account. In that sense, you can read my joke as being pointed at myself too.

20. mschafft

mschafft Member

Anything below 8lbs.