does hot plate cause a fizzier tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keano, May 5, 2008.

1. keano

keano Member

Curious if when turning a hot plate up to say -8 -12 create some top end fizz?

Wondering if this is a known fact I don't know about or maybe I am hearing things. If this is true... would a Ultimate Attenuator do the same?

2. cyndicate

cyndicate Member

-8 not so much, at -12 the bright and deep switches come in handy. It depends also how low you have it already. When I have it pretty loud already I dont notice much change until -12. But it still sounds better at that volume with it than without it, just have to compensate some tone control changes to make up for it.

3. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

As long as you realize that less air volume will lead to a tonal change, and make the appropriate adjustments... you'll be fine.

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

Just using the attenuation on a hotplate, I find than the greater the level of attenuation, the more treble and bass frequencies one loses, especially the treble. I don't like to use the treble adjustment switch any more, as I find it introduces a harshness that I just can't dial out.

So, to answer your question, I think simple Hotplate attenuation would actually reduce fizz, not cause it.

5. keano

keano Member

Right maybe thats my problem I have the deep and bright on maybe that is why it sounds fizzy. That bright switch sound bigger but also fizzy.

6. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Yes, from experience at it's highest attenuated settings (extreme bedroom level) it gets fizzy. When I first got it, I thought I had a bad pedal or something.

The problem subsided a little when I put Substi-tubes in my amp (Bassman).

It's a trade off, but I would never get rid of my Hot Plate. The amp feels dead at volume levels 1-4 or so. Beyond that, I would get evicted without the Hot Plate.