Does it exists an OD "with" mid content which you wouldn't call a TS clone/derivate??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SunnyRollins, Feb 18, 2008.

1. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

It's interesting to find out cause maybe ALL od's with mid are TS's, plain and simple...

2. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

No, not at all!
    The BJF Emerald Green Dist. Machine, for one, has a nice mid push to it, and sounds, feels, behaves, nothing like a TS. It is a totally different type of pedal in circuit and sound. In fact many of BJ's pedals have some extra mid content and lots of color, yet are about as far from a TS as a dirt pedal can be.
    The Blackstone has a real strong marshall-like mid push as well, and is also nothing like a TS in structure, function, and sound.
    Some of the Menatone pedals have thick mids (with controls) and are also non-op amp FET based designs and really not TS-like at all.
    Having said that, many, many pedals are similar to Screamers, but you don't have to have a TS to get midrange.

3. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

It's interesting what you say because here in my country (Chile, South America) there's little if ANY boutique effect stores so I can't try most of the pedals discussed here before taking the plunge so any input is helpful.:BEER

Besides that, it's really commonplace to read about this topic so i wondered about that, cause after all the reading and searching i've done here i couldn't find any example.:munch

4. wleeds

wleeds Member

Barber LTD-SR and Silver, the farthest thing(s) from a TS.
    Very open sounding.:horse
    mark

5. RomanS

RomanS Member

Tell me 'bout it... Same thing over here, except for Fulltone, boutique pedals are virtually unavailable.

If you want a low- to mid-gain OD pedals that is widely available (in your part of the world, too, I assume), and does not soud like a TubeScreamer, try the Marshall Bluesbreaker II. It's also true bypass (supposedly), and does not cost a lot, either.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Member

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

8. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - Silver Kiss and Honey Bee, and I'll throw in a Skreddy Screw Driver too.

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

This is a discussion near and dear to my tonal heart :YinYang

Is it the Sound or the Circuit that denotes the pedal ?

You could easily make a pedal that sounded like a tube screamer with similar EQ and distortion and compression but do it with a heavily modified circuit that was nothing like a TS circuit.....

is it a tube screamer if it sounds like a tube screamer irregaurdless of what parts are inside ?

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

Well it's not just the sound but the feel. Opamps, FETs and disrete transistors all have a different kind of response and their own tonal characteristics.

I'm guessing it would be impossible to make something sound/play like the Honey Bee starting from the TS architecture for example... and probably visa versa.

11. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

12. playon

playon Supporting Member

13. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

yes Donner, sound and feel. What's inside isn't important (to the player at least).

14. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Same here.

Its just that usually, if its a TS-circuit, the end result is - it sounds & feels like a TS.

So I suppose, that's a pretty normal way of guessing how a pedal will function/feel/sound, even though TS-variants do vary in feel/sound.