Does it have to be Fender or Gibson for you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ToneRanger, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Are you brand conscious? I am. Sometimes it drives me nuts, I don't why I'm that way, but for guitars it's just got to be Fender, Gibson etc rather than clones and even custom luthier stuff.

Usually it has something to do with other cosmetic issues as well, like with Epiphones I can't stand the headstock. I know, I know, I'm vain, but it's just the way I am. I think these guitars just don't look right otherwise.

And think about it, we still have these great companies that build the guitars they invented some 50 years back, why not buy from them when they are still around?

2. m4tt

m4tt Member

it did bother me for quite some time...but after playing many quality replicas, the issue began less and less important.

same goes for build location. (japan/korea/us)

essentially, I buy guitars based on if they 'have it'. IMHO, every guitar has the option of "hit or miss".

3. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

Nope: had 2 Gibsons (early '70s LP Deluxe and 355tdsv , and 2 Fenders('65 and '60 strat both rosewood)...long gone.

Played a Yamaha SG2000 for 28 years, and a Parker Fly for the last 7.

Never going back. I keep going into shops playing incredibly expensive guitars by Gibson, Fender and PRS...nope. Usually paying for a finish...not one touches the neck of a Parker. If they ever do, I'll think about it.

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Very true. I just try to find my "hits" in Fenders :)

On the other hand I'm not such an idiot/snob that if I found a perfect guitar that was of whatever make that I wouldnt get it. It's just that I seem to limit my search to my favourite brands.

5. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Heck no it doesn't matter to me! I got lucky when I was turned out to Thorn guitars, saved me a couple thousand dollars I would have spent on buying gear in that quest for a guitar that "suited" me! I'm also comfortable playing my LTD that is made in korea! Labels don't matter to me... if it looks good and sounds good, I'll play. :dude

6. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

for me it has to be KOLL !!!!!!

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

Yep, especially being a lefty. I've had tons of guitars over the years but keep coming back to the big 3 , Gib/Fen/Prs. I went thru all the Jap copy guitars, but to me none of them were ever really close. If I go to a specialty builder I know I won't be able to give the thing away when I tire of it. So I'm more than happy with the big 3.

8. ivers

ivers Member

I'm extremely happy with my Yamaha SA1200S (335-copy), but of course ignorance is bliss, and I haven't even tried a Gibson since I'd just started out playing or something, so I wouldn't know if I miss something that I would get from a Gibby, and not my Yamaha.

A Gibson would be too expensive for me, anyway, but as for Fender, sure I've been eyeing those japanese telecasters a bit, and in that price range I probably would have gone for a Fender tele-style guitar, based on my experiences with Fender guitars.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'd play a 2x4 if it spoke to me. Fenders are definitely the beginning for me, but I've branched out. A G&L is now a daily player, along with my old strat. Gibson 335 awaiting a fret job, that will be only the third Gibson electric I've played, excepting the beyond-fine Gibson lap steel I'm trying to learn on. Looking for a Jerry Jones baritone now, always looking for that oddball guitar that can surprise me.

Guitars are like women. I do have tastes and preferences, but these appear to be irrelevant once choices actually present themselves.

10. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I've never owned any Fenders or Gibsons. IMO, they're classic designs that got a whole lot right the first time around, but modern guitars have addressed many of their faults. Plus, I got into playing guitar in the 80's, so I don't have any nostagia tied up in either brand and none of my guitar heroes play them. If I got a Fender or Gibson, I'd just be paying more for the name, which I'm not going to do.

-Austin

11. HHB

HHB Member

yes and no! I'm of the age that the iconic rock guitars really do move me but also the superstrat and beyond came up w/ me, so I feel Austins vibe as well. The guitar I play the most is an old Schecter strat copy, I've played Hamers for years , I own Gibson LPs custom and Junior , top it off w/ a McInturff Taurus and a recent Cort Joe Beck bangaround archtop, I'm all over the map LOL

12. SFW

SFW Member

When Fender or Gibson will build me a spec guitar for under $2000, then I'll get brand loyal. Yes, I own and Les Paul and a Strat, but that doesn't stop me from buying a guitar that speaks to me. At the moment, both of my "big brand" guitars have moved to backup status after my Carvin. The carvin has every bit of the build quiality (in some cases it exceeds Fender and Gibson quality) and cost me less than half of what a Les Paul would have.

13. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

Gibson - Yes
    Fender - No.

I feel that only actual Gibsons feel/sound/look/etc. right for me. They are also my main stage guitars (2 LPs and 1 ES-335)

However, to cover the Fender side, I play a G&L ASAT and a Suhr Standard (more super-strat than strat).

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

No, not at all. I grew up bouncing between Fenders and Gibsons, and while I'll openly acknowledge the genius and innovation that went behind their original designs, their corporate 'keepers' are not necessarily the best purveyors of those designs today, not to mention there's been plenty of other design innovation going on. We're living, right now, in what I'm sure will be remembered as a golden age of guitar building. Life is good.

15. amper

amper Member

To a large extent, I truly crave certain Fenders, Gibsons, PRS's, Parkers, Rickenbackers, and probably a few others...but I find myself stopping short of actually buying them because there always seems to be something about each particular design that doesn't sit quite right with me. I suppose that's what's behind my quest to start making my own guitar designs.

Fenders (particularly Stratocasters) -- love 'em, but the quality of the wood they use these days is atrocious, unless you're looking at a Masterbuilt, which is ridiculously expensive. That goes for Jazz Basses, too.

Gibsons - the ones I like the least. Still, if I could find the "right" LP, I'd be a happy man.

PRS - no ebony? no stainless frets? no two-post bridge? (what's with the six screws, anyway?) Option problems are what keeps me away from a factory PRS, price is what keeps me away from a PS. Otherwise, love the guitars! Especially the CE22.

Rickenbacker - still waiting for my 325V59 with only two pickups and no Bigsby. Oh, and can I have it in Blueburst?

Parker - can I have a US Made, all-wood model? I love the Fly series (especially the Artist and Concert), but all that plastic really puts me off. Amazing guitars, though.

16. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

For the most part, yes. I don't know if it's a snob thing or whatever, it just so happens that the LP design is perfect for me. I've dicked around with other "takes" on the LP, but I've always stayed with the Gibson LP. As far as basses- I have a Fender Jazz- it's a phenomenal bass, but I like what my G&L does- especially in the live context.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yes, I must say I stick to the big two. In Finland it is very hard to try any custom guitars from small luthiers. Gibsons and Fender are available and IMO they just look right. Whenever I look at a Suhr, Epiphone or whatever replica-type thing, I just think about the real thing they resemble and the differences, such as headstocks, begin to annoy me.

18. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+1 well said, my feelings exactly.

19. Roe

Roe Member

no,

but a gretsch ;)

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

A little bit, but not really.

When you say "have to be Fender or Gibson" both of those companies have gone through periods of years of putting their names on junky stuff.

Schecter made its name on simply making high quality where Fender dropped the ball. But then, Schecter went ahead and made quite a few lamers when they tried to cash in.

So once you've seen names being made and sold over a few year period, your brand consciousness gets more informed.