Does it matter which springs you remove

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by johnnyguitar, Apr 2, 2005.

1. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Long in the tooth Silver Supporting Member

I just got a 3 spring reverb unit for my Fender amp..way too much reverb..I'd like to remove a spring does it matter which one????

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Yikes, I never heard of anyone removing a spring from a reverb unit before. Why don't you just turn it down?!

3. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

You're better served getting the proper "2 spring" (actually a 4-spring) tank. But if ya gotta chop, chop the middle one (pair) in your 3 (6) spring tank.

There are quite a few people (particularly on FleaBay) touting the 6 spring tank as an upgrade for your Fender.

Don't do it -- unless you're willing to mod the reverb circuit these tanks will have wayyy too much dwell. They work great in a reverb circuit with a dwell control though ;)

PS: He can't turn it down because all his amp has is a mix control. The problem is the strength of the driving signal - fixed in most amps.

4. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Long in the tooth Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Todd..I took the middle one out and that helped me control it.a little better.I think I'm gonna order a 4 spring short delay from accutronic rather than the long delay....

5. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member