Does laying down an open-back cabinet on the floor affect the mic'ed sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gil, Feb 19, 2009.

1. gil

gil Member

I understand that the un-mic'ed sound of the cabinet is affected, since you're losing the sound that would be coming out of the back of the open-back cab, but does a mic in front of the speaker grill hear a difference? [In case in matters, I'm talking about a combo amp, laying on it's back, with an Amp Wedge being used to keep it from being totally flat on the ground (for connections and some air for cooling the tubes).]

Also, is it a given that a closed-back cab won't be affected?

2. tng

tng Member

never tried that.
    But I could imagine there might be some influence on the sound just by the fact that the cab will have a different angle which will make the speaker(s) movement somewhat different.
    like regular = horizontal movement; on the back = more vertical movement.

On top I think not only the speakers action might be influenced - the combo itself will be in a changed situation.

Just thinking.
    However, I don't think the difference will be enormous.

Cheers,
    tng

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I don't think you "loose" any sound.. It gets reflected back into the cab.. so I would say yes, you will effect the mic'd tone... I would imagine the material (carpet, wood, etc.) in the wedge might even effect the tone.

Another factor to think about.. when you seal the cab, the speakers have to work harder to move... but is this really an air-tight seal like a closed back cab? Prolly not.

Disclaimer: This is just my thoughts/guess!

4. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Gravity would effect the sound waves too. It's much harder for them to climb straight up.

;)
    Heheh.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Microphones work a lot like human ears, so if you can hear a difference it's pretty safe to assume the mic will hear a difference.