1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Does locking tuners cut sustain?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Solinger, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Solinger

Solinger Member

I'm planning to put Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knobs Tuners on my strat.
    It has the same weight of Kluson tuners.
    Does the locking system cut sustain?

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

I only have locking tuners on my Gretsch Setzer Sig. I don't really have a problem with them, but if they had not come on this guitar, I'd probably never have had any experience with them. I sort of enjoy the string changing process and I like having 3 wraps minimum so the locking thing looks weird to me. But changing string fast is for sure a plus for them. I don't know if having more wraps increases sustain or not.

3. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I would think that depending on headstock angle off of the neck, sustain might be an issue with the locking tuners.

I have an American STD Tele with standard tuners that has one string tree for the high E and B strings, and that's it. While Fender has somewhat improved the angle issue with using staggered posts, I find it beneficial to wrap more string around the post and increase the angle after the nut. This helps me reduce any buzzing or sustain problems in the nut slots. This is especially beneficial with a low-action setup, or a nut that's had its slots cut low.

4. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Good Question ...We make such a deal about transfer of vibration from string to bridge to top ....neck joint , fret size ...nut material ..I`m no tech guy ...BUT I would imagine that the surface contact of string to post on a multiple wind would transfer more sound than a single throw of string across a post.....LUTHIERS >????? where y`all at >????

5. fumbler

fumbler Member

As long as they are similar mass to the previous tuners then I doubt they have much effect if at all. It would only matter for open strings anyway. Angle over the nut is an issue, of course. Extra wraps will change the angle a bit.

But I have always wrapped my strings UP the capstan! So more wraps = less angle over the nut. It's an asthetic thing for me and I AIN'T CHANGING! It would just be WRONG.

I love the convenience of locking tuners; especially the cutting ones.

-fumbler-

6. kovachian

kovachian Member

No. Next question.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have both and there is no difference - only more tuning stability with lockers.

One thing guys overlook is putting too many wraps around a non locking capstan - as few as possible for best tuning stability. Really I've had guitars come in that had like the whole string wound on and they're like - "my guitar won't stay in tune" . . . well DUH!!!! :D

8. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I don't have a direct comparison (my grosh has always had locking klusons) but have not noticed a problem with sustain. to the contrary, it's a very sustainy strat.

9. alderbody

alderbody Member

+1

+1

+1

:D