Does MakenMusic really own bogner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Jun 3, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

or atleast a majority. I read this in a post here, and when I was at MakenMusic in chicago(I think its there only location now) they said that too, that they started bogner amps and bought reinhold bogner to the states. Is that true?

I would think now Bogner is bigger and brings in more money than makenmusic does by itself now.

2. 66Park

66Park Member

Years ago, when Reinhold's only product was the Triple Giant preamp (the original, not the Hafler version), Greg Bayles, who owned Make'n Music, told me he owned the international distribution rights to Bogner. That didn't amount to much at the time, as Bogner only made 25 of those preamps. I owned #25. I think (and I could be wrong here) that Reinhold worked repairing amps at Greg's store in LA at one time. Greg introduced me to Reinhold in '91, when I was playing at the NAMM show. Reinhold was a great guy, hooked me up with his then unreleased Fish preamp for the gigs, and came to every show. Greg Bayles has since retired, and Make'n has a new owner. I have no idea what their relationship is to Bogner currently, but Make'n was at the very least involved with Reinhold's products in the beginning.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  3. Make'n Music

Make'n Music Member

hi everyone!

it's Teddy. I bought Make'n Music from Greg Bayles in 2003 and other than being a dealer for Bogner products, Make'n Music has no affiliation, ownership or anything else with Bogner Amplification. I don't know all the specific details of Greg's history with Reinhold but I do know they were/are close friends and that Greg and Make'n Music have been affiliated with Reinhold since his earliest days in the US (if not before that). Hopefully that should clear things up a bit.

Please, in the future if anyone has any questions about Make'n Music related stuff just ask. I'd rather just tell anyone what's up than have them speculate in gearpageland

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Hey Teddy, love your shop. I don't get to Chicago nearly as often as I'd like or I'd be a regular.

I can remember back in the mid 90's scoffing at the Dumble Combo you (or the other guy) had in the shop.
    $6,000 for an amp Pffftt! What kind of an idiot would pay that.:crazy

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Teddy, I love going to Chicago for one reason, you have a great store!

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Hi Teddy,
    Still digging that Bogner Ecstasy Classic I got from you...and how!
    A 412 cab may not be far off. :D
    Anyway, I remember talking to Greg a few times back in the day about Bogner, and Dumble, and Guytron, etc.
    He told me about how he helped Reinhold get a good start here in the U.S.
    I guess Greg was the right guy at the right time and the right place.
    He was a true visionary in the boutique gear realm. Helluva nice guy too...always mellow and willing to shoot the breeze.

Kinda like yourself...I have always felt the shop has remained in good hands.

All the best,
    S>
    j

7. Make'n Music

Make'n Music Member

You guys rock! Seriously! Getting deal with killer gear and such wonderful customers that are all into it too on a daily basis is really so badass. I still can't believe I get paid to do this :)

8. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

And to the point....Bogner. Good.

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Haha, +1!

10. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

What was the deal between Make 'n Music and Andy Brauer? Andy had his spot on Weddington and then it was Make 'n Music and Andy was still there. What's the history on that?

11. Make'n Music

Make'n Music Member

Greg and Andy were partners in the LA store. I dont know specifically when it started or how long it lasted (I think about 10 years from mid 80's to mid 90's)

12. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Hi Teddy, since we have you on the line here can you give a heads up on Star Amps? The website is still down, is Mark packing it in?..Say it ain't so!

13. Make'n Music

Make'n Music Member

Have no fear! Star amps are absolutely still in business. I talked to Mark the other day and he told me. I don't know anything about the website but some other people have mentioned it was down too. I don't think it matters- there wasn't much useful information on it. It would be nice if they lauched a new and improved site.

14. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Thats a relief! I still want to get into a Blue Star.. anyone interested in a nice Gainstar?

15. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

When I retire, I'm turning in an application and working there for free. I won't even touch anything- just buzz people in. I just need a reason for hanging out there all day. :p

16. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Bogner & Make'n.
    Two of the COOLEST companies in the biz! :)

17. trinian1

trinian1 Supporting Member

Yeah, I gotta admit, the one time I was there, I was pretty impressed. I wanted to test out a whole bunch of amps that I didn't yet have the money to buy, was totally up front about my situation (and the fact that I probably would have to end up buying used--Make'n isn't known for their wide used selection, or at least they weren't 3 or 4 years ago!), and still got top shelf treatment. They let me dink around on a couple of acoustics while I waited for a room to open up, and then they let me play however many amps I wanted until I was done--no pressure, no hurry up dude who's not even going to buy something. Great store, great guys, great service. I hope to buy from there sometime.

Plus, the high ceilings and the hard wood at the old place were killer :drool. I haven't seen the new place--I assume it's also pretty nice.

shane

18. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

nothing personal dude, but if you're not buying and the store is busy, it's not cool to bogart the amp room if paying customers are waiting.

just my $.02

19. Strat

Strat Member

"just my $.02"
    wHat - you were waiting ? shhheesh.....

20. trinian1

trinian1 Supporting Member

A great point. Nothing personal taken. There wasn't anyone waiting on me, AFAIK--it was the middle of the afternoon on a weekday, and there weren't too many people around. And I did what I could to wait for a used Hot Cat to come up at Make'n, including passing one up locally at Eddie's in St. Louis. I just couldn't swing one new, even waiting to save up more money (I had a semi-self-imposed spending limit--I say semi-self because I also have a wife to keep happy!). I eventually ended up buying one from Fat Sound out in North Carolina. But I definitely plan to head back to Chicago with some money some day.