Does My 2001 Les Paul Std Have a Long Neck Tenon?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BillyBardahl, Jan 17, 2006.

1. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

2. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

No, it dosen't

But it's really no big deal. I have played alot of standards that sound as good (if not better) than most Historics.

3. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

I know there's this big to do about long neck tennons and how it's supposed to add to the sustain, but of all my Les Pauls the one that has the best sustain was not a long neck tennon ......for what it's worth.

4. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

+1 on long tenons - After doing a search through dozens of LPs I found I prefer long tenons.

Not necessarily in the sustain dept., more in the tone dept. :dude

5. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Thanks...mine plays well, the pickups aren't so great, but I am going to rectify that soon!

6. Fibber_McGee

Fibber_McGee Member

I play a 2001 LP, and I've compared it with several historics, and I prefer the "01" personally, but I know plenty of people who feel the opposite. I guess its all about preference.

7. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Fibber...same here...I got a good deal on mine and took a chance...nice dark sunburst. I was thinking of selling and moving up to an R7, but mine plays to good to let it go.

8. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Sold-off all my non-long neck tenons after finding a magic R0, which later led me to go on the hunt for an equally magic R9 :dude

Non-historic LPs sound kind of dead to me nowadays :eek:

9. bailnout

bailnout Member

The long tenon is only part of the equation when it comes to set neck guitars. The long tenon give you the opportunity to have better resonance but you have to have a tight neck joint as well.

WOOPS!!! I JUST GAVE A WAY THE BIG SECRET!!!!! DAMN!!!

Oh well. There...you all know now. So the reason a guitar with a long tenon joint can sound inferior to a shorter one is that the guitar with the shorter one probably has a tighter fit in that pocket. IMO the fit is more important than the length (no inuendo intended) but if you have both you have scored bigtime!

10. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

11. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

i wish they would make the long neck tenon standard on all models

12. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

With '57 and '58 Historics going for under $2500 right now, there really isn't much difference between them and the Standards. Price wise, anyway. I have found every Historic I have played to be superior to the Standards I have owned. And I have loved the Standards I have owned.

I read somewhere that the 1960 reissues were not considered "Historics" so I thought they did not have the extended tenon...

13. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Well, what I read was wrong, the 1960 is listed as a Historic reissue w/the long neck tenon.

14. bailnout

bailnout Member

Well that's interesting. The 1960 is proably my favorite Les Paul in the current line. I always liked that neck profile the best but I always thought the tone was a little better on those too. I just thought it was "psyco" acoustic because I was digging on the feel of the neck. But maybe the tone actually is better to my ears on those models.

Interesting also because it's one of the more affordable models.

15. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

A picture IS worth a thousand words! Thanks, I have never seen that one before ( tenon cross section )

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Tonight I will see what other damage I can do to the EJ after the Tigers / Tennessee bball game. I think I will leave the ceiling fan on in my guitar room to see if it will dull the finish during the course of the game:AOK

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Couldn't disagree more. I've rarely (if ever) played a standard that was as resonant or sustained as well as a decent Historic. I've found that MOST (but not all) Historics are real sustain monsters, and have, at least in my mind, something more 'organic' about them than standards. Not to say there aren't some excellent standards out there, but I get the sense that the few in that category are kind of a lucky accident. AC

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Actually, Gibson makes a '1960' that is a standard, not to be confused with the Historic R0 1960 LP which does have the long tenon. Many of the standards have '1960' embossed on the pickguard. AC

18. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I too have an 01 Standard as well as an R6. I really dig the standard, it was my first Paul after owning a couple SG's and a Firebird, but once I got the R6 and started playing w/ that huge neck and the long tenon, it was pretty obvious to me the difference in sustain, if not tone as well.

19. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I believe the 1960 model is actually a Classic 1960. That is a different model then a Standard. There are other differences like yellow fret board inlays instead of white.