Does Nils Lofgren Get The Respect He Deserves?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by StevenA, Oct 21, 2014.

1. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

On one of the OGWT DVD's they interview Jools Holland about the show, and he remarks how he always favored the keyboard players on the show, and how impressive many of them are. The next video was of Nils Lofgren's band, and he was playing piano. I was a bit disappointed he wasn't on guitar, but he was incredible on piano. Very impressive.

Maybe another reason Nils took the Springsteen gig was because the pressure is far lower if you aren't the frontman. As great as Lofgren is, it seemed to me that he worked long and hard with major label support to get his career going, and it just didn't catch fire (no hits). So having to toil in semi-obscurity as a solo artist for the rest of his life, or be a sideman for one of the biggest acts in rock history (a very comfortable and lucrative job that would give him more exposure), maybe the choice is obvious.

2. gmann

gmann Member

Yeah, that was cool!

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i think the clean & sober nils was/is very attracted to the mature & professional band ethics of bruce & the e street band. it has been a long & prosperous gig for him and he is publicly appreciative and supportive of his boss & friend.

he has also never stopped doing his "thang" during his springsteen residency. he's almost 64 years old.

he's in the r&r hall of fame. he's made a sweet living being a highly regarded guitar player, for bruce, neil, ringo - shitload of others.

respect & appreciation doesn't always come in a cursed package of idolatry.

4. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I was at the Letterman show taping on the oct.7th .. I got a free concert during the commercial breaks and was knocked out by Nils (sat in with the band) .
    Time feel , tone ...space ...grit and grace ...it was ALL there .
    After the show Felicia and Sid were all over him staying for like 20 min in a guitar huddle .
    [​IMG]

5. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Ha! Silver lining for me.

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Amazing artist but largely unknown in his solo capacity. Some people know about Grin. I first saw him on the Neil Young "Berlin" VHS tape in the early '90s which was shot on the 1982 Trans tour. I thought he was a great showman. In recent times I've gone through all his solo stuff and he's been a huge inspiration for me. I even changed to a thumb pick. He's a great songwriter and soloist but he doesn't mind just backing up other guys either. He's just isn't an ego maniac. I like his customised Strat too; Bill Lawrence blades + a stratoblaster. Great tones.

Songs:
    Beggars Day

Valentine

7. '56 Merc

'56 Merc Member

Nils was a child prodigy piano player, His first instrument.

His guitar heroes are Jimi Hendrix and Keith Richards. Can't go wrong with that.

Writes great songs. "I miss love like water when all there is, is Coke."

One of the truly great guitar players of the last 50 years. When I play Strats it is because of him, JLV, Ike Turner and Johnny Guitar Watson.

Any doubts just listen to Troubles Back.

Also the best of the old MTV Unplugged series was Neil Young, with just him and Nils.

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Umm, Im pretty sure Nils started on accordion like lots of folks his age. Probably took lessons from Mervin Conn in MD.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Awesome plucked harmonic guitar solos on this one (Night Fade Away):

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  10. straycat113

straycat113 Member

My older brother by 7 years is as big a Sprindsteen fan as they come going back to before he made it. The first time he took me to see Sprinsteen was at the old Palladium before Nil's was in the band and then I saw him twice with Nil's after he joined. I honestly did not think much of his guitar playing because The E Street Band is not set up that way and Clarence Clemons blew most of the really memorable extended solo's. When they were putting out the Hot Licks VH's tapes I saw Nil's did one and bought it. I was totally blown away by how phenomenal and technical a player he really is. Then I watched the documentary on the late great Roy Buchanan (which is on Youtube) and near the end of a TV concert he was doing they bring out a 17 year old Lofgren who holds nothing back and totally cuts it up.I like Springsteens music and he is one of the greatest performers I have ever seen who leaves everything on the stage but I think things would of been a lot different without the E Street Band. For those who own any solo Bruce like Nebraska where it is just him and an acoustic he can sound awfully drab. I kind of got turned off when he went into The R&R HOF without the E Street Band. Right after that Tom Petty went in with The Heartbreakers and Elvis Costello with The Attractions whom he hadn't played with in over a decade! That is why when they went in this year at least he had the balls to say that he and Steve VanZandt had a talk in his kitchen when Springsteen first got in about everyone going in together and zeroing in on each members faces it seems like it was a soar spot and reminder.

11. grill

grill Member

i saw nils after cry tough came out.
    liked his playing, from the radio.

boy, live the guy/band is smokin'!
    so much better than the studio.

i still remember him playing slide with a bar glass.
    downed a double bourbon and went right into a slide solo with it.

12. hotmod

hotmod Member

Tremendous knowledge of the instrument and the first one i saw using a wooden pickguard on a strat. That had made a huge impression to me at the time.
    i got most of his personal albums but i'm not a Springsteen fan at all so i lost track of him after joining his band.

13. jero

jero Member

Here i miss it. Don't understand how this contibutes to the song.

14. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I remember NL being interviewed during the E Street Bands "hiatus".

Said as far as he was concerned he was still lead guitarist in the ESB.

Faith or insider knowledge. A pretty great gig, imo.

I've heard the Princess Max stories too but he brings four four like a mother****er.

Haven't been since CC left but ESB was one of the best with him. And Nils.

15. Seabazz

Seabazz Member

Nils was having a tough time dropped from label...bruce and him were friends from way back and bruce called him and audition him and asked him to join the band.

im sure Nils came away from that pretty happy being in the biggest band at the world right then and still one of the biggest bands in the world

16. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Nils is the man!

His album The Lonner Nils Sings Neil is constantly getting played on my stereo.

17. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Supporting Member

18. badhorsie551

badhorsie551 Member

Tom was in a big band at the time and all over guitar magazines. I'm sure they were trying to expand his fanbase to a younger crowd. It got me interested in seeing who Bruce Springsteen was but once I heard it I lost interest immediately.

"Who?!" Is all I have to say to the thread topic. Younger players have absolutely no ide who he is.

19. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Morello is a complete bust IMO with Springsteen though Bruce seems to like him.

As to your last sentence, it's odd you would highlight such ignorance. ;-o

20. loudboy

loudboy Member

Seeing as Bruce gave each of them $1M to tide them over, I can understand this... <g>

Bruce - a great bandleader, Nils - a great player.