Does nothing sound like an ep3 echoplex?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, Feb 16, 2009.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I have own numerous delays and currently have a timefactor and memory lane... They're both great pedals but i find that the timefactor just brightens up the tone too much...

I've never played an echoplex but from all the recordings i've heard its definitely the tone i'm after...

I've been considering getting an ep pre and putting it in a parallel loop with the time factor but for all the money i'd spend on the ep pre and looper should i just get the ep3 and be done with it...

2. DS88

DS88 Member

The EP-3's are awesome.. the only thing I despise about them is the maintenance required to keep them running! I'm a tad lazy in the maintenance department, so unfortunately real tape units are not for me..

I'm looking into a nice delay with the EP-Pre aswell.. Perhaps an old Memory Man (although the new XO series seem interesting aswell).

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I was in the same boat you're in...I wanted the tone but didn't want the cost or the up keep. Let me just save you thie time and trouble...get an echoplex and be done with it. I was much happier after I did.

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Nothing is gonna sound exactly like that (I miss my 2 EP-3's) but I have had great success using the highly recommended Ibanez EM-5 Echomachine-looks like a junky plastic pedal but is highly regarded as one of the best Echoplex sounding pedals. You need to keep it in a bypass loop though as it will suck tone.

5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I'm going to suggest the Skreddy Echo here-I know you are going for the Neil Young "Dead Man" tone-without Larry Cragg to do all the maintenance just go for this great simulator-
    that or the Akai Headrush II

6. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

Does nothing sound like an ep3 echoplex?

no

7. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Agreed, Nothing sounds like that. I had 2 in my rig for years. One for slap and one for long echos and there is nothing that has come close except a TC2290 after the amp with a tiny bit of modulation.
    DMM maybe, kind of, but not really...

8. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Have you tried the Line 6 Echo Park or Boss Space Echo?

TG

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The only pedal I've heard that goes in that direction tonally is the H&K Replex. It's the "drive" knob that does it. You can dial in a similar shot of warmth. Plus a beautiful delay sound. It creates a big sound. Atmospheric. You have to use that drive control wisely, or it'll mud up on you. Not exactly like tape, as nothing w/o tape can be.

10. Craise

Craise Member

How about a Fulltone TTE? Ha!
    In small pedal size I'd still have to give it to the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay..
    A bit larger pedal size the EH Deluxe Memory Man...
    But does anything do echoplex exactly? no...

11. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I use my echoplex in front of a marshall with the echo off. the preamp really alters the curcuit. It's more than just a good sounding echo.

If you find something that can fatten up the tone like an ep-3. Let me know.

12. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

You are correct SIR!
    And the only thing cooler than that is to have TWO echoplexes in front.
    The preamp really is amazing, and NOPE the TTE does not sound like that.
    I wish that Mike had done an EP3 first

13. Dajax

Dajax Member

I played an echoplex all through the 70s and have hated every echo pedal I've owned since. Recently though I picked up an MXR Carbon Copy delay that I'm digging quite a bit.
    http://bandmix.ca/dajax

14. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Nice playing,great tone:AOK

15. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Really shocked at all this talk of maintanece, never needed any more on my EP3 any other amp of guitar.

16. zion

zion Supporting Member

I've found nothing that compares to my EP-3. Haven't looked very hard either. Love it! Just got it back from Orbit. They brought it back up to factory specs. Caps, 3-prong cord, etc...WOW. I liked it before but didn't know what I was missing. Now I can turn it off while it's still plugged in. Great service and money well spent!

17. coolhand78

Is there somewhere thats well known for selling good ones? Not much around here or ebay...? There's 2 on ebay but one guy doesn't even know if it plays or not...

18. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

shameless plug--i've got one for sale in the emporium. actually it's an em-1, which is a 4 channel ep-3.

19. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

Before the motor crapped out, my ep-3 made everything that passed through it sound better. There's a lil magic in that circuit.

20. coolhand78

i saw that one... but i'm really just after the EP3...
    what essentially is the difference between them... these things are
    getting hard to find..