• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does older really = better??

WorkinSteamin

There seems to be a belief that earlier versions of effect pedals are always better than the current issue. This is beyond the pale of absurdity. How could it possibly be true?? I am NOT saying it isn't sometimes the case. But when I read about how the original version of pedal after pedal is better than a new one, driving the price of the originals up to ridiculous levels, I just shake my head amazement. I mean seriously. Is an older DLS that much better than a new one? A Zendrive assembled by Alf is superior to the exact same pedal made by Lovepedal? Please...

*puts on flame suit*

Last edited:

sparky_8

Depends. I've found that when I want to like something old, nothing new can satisfy that desire because it doesn't sound as good. Often or ears hear what they want to hear regardless of reality. I had a vintage fuzz face that was a dog. I've had new fuzz face that were dogs. But I've had new and old fuzz faces that were equal. Point being, it depends. Build quality varies. Always has. And we can convince ourselves to hear what we want to hear if we want something bad enough.

JRC4558Dude

Older is only better if it uses components that are "better" sounding, but no longer available.

That only applies to a handful of components, though. I mean old BBD chips and germanium transistors, but even those have limitations that make some people prefer current-production components.

Plus, you could argue that a brand new DLS (or whatever) is "better" than the first few hundred, as the design has been tweaked and improved , and the people building them have more experience under their belts.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Some pedals seem to keep getting re-designed.

I have a Lumpy's Jelly Roll from about 4 years ago that sounds quite different from the later Jelly Roll / Class A pedals that I've owned.

I strongly prefer the sound of the old circuit.

-bEn r.

sparky_8

Some pedals seem to keep getting re-designed.

I have a Lumpy's Jelly Roll from about 4 years ago that sounds quite different from the later Jelly Roll / Class A pedals that I've owned.

I strongly prefer the sound of the old circuit.

-bEn r.
I've not played this one. But I can see how that would happen. My first Germ Drives compared to the new Leona are vastly different due to minor part changes.

teleclem

Not automatically of course. Some stuff were made with "better" parts that are no longer available. This is all very subjective of course.

WorkinSteamin

I've not played this one. But I can see how that would happen. My first Germ Drives compared to the new Leona are vastly different due to minor part changes.
Different? Ok maybe. But why always better?? If a manufacturer attempts to improve a pedal, how could it be possible that he or she always screws up? Are they are truly incompetent? And if this were the case how did they create the wonderful original pedal in the first place?

sparky_8

Different? Ok maybe. But why always better?? If a manufacturer attempts to improve a pedal, how could it be possible that he or she always screws up? Are they are truly incompetent? And if this were the case how did they create the wonderful original pedal in the first place?
I'm not going to answer as to the competency of any other builders since I'm not them. But for me, when I revised the Germ Drive circuit it became different enough that I decided to rename the pedal completely rather than call it a revision. The new design is capable of the sounds of the Germ Drive plus more with the use of an internal trim pot. I did it as an improvement and feel it is that. So, for me if a revision becomes so different that it's entirely different I'll rename it in order to avoid confusion.
Seems like this could be subjective as well. I know as a builder I wouldn't revise something to a spec I thought sounded worse. However, the end user experience could be different from my own as well.

coltonius

Señor Member
You should try buying an original, first run (2012) Klon KTR. Some people seem to think they're worth $400-500 and forget Bill stopped production because it wasn't meeting his high standard of quality. :huh

7thString

In most cases I think yes. When people first started building pedals, the main consideration above everything else was how how it sounds. Then we try to make it smaller, lighter, 9v powered, less noisy, true bypass, substitute BBD's / transistors etc and quite often a large compromise on sound has been made.

Fairly large generalisation but their are plenty of examples. In particular mk 1 tone benders, CE-1's, 1176's, klones, uni-vibes, leslie sims, spring reverb pedals, DMM's.

But I'd still rather carry my H9 to a gig than a rack :p

Trending Topics