Does putting dings in your guitar bother you, even if it's not the first ding?

jlb32

Jamming with some friends tonight and my Gibson VOS Skinnerburst got another ding added to it's collection. Even though it already has a few it still bothers me at this time.

Guess I'll get over it. I'm not going to quit playing it out. I don't keep case queens.

This one wacked the back of the headstock and put 2 small dings by the serial number. Already have one on the top and one by the input jack. :mad:

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the guitar and why it happened. Can get over it anywhere between 10 seconds and 10 years.

ripgtr

Yea, I feel bad when I bang one of my guitars. I did it with my old strat a few weeks bad, it was sort of like, 'crap, sorry'. This is a way old guitar, I have put a lot of dings on it since I got it (used and beat up) 40 years ago, but I don't intentionally wack it up more.
Though it has more dings than finish these days, lol, I still don't want to ding it up more.

jlb32

Yeah, I'll get over it I guess and I'm sure more will come since I play it alot and have no plans of that changing.

Still irritating right now but like I said, I don't keep case queens. If I don't play them then I sell them.

jlb32

Reasons to buy used or reliced.

Dings bother me even on my used guitars but they just happen. Still bugs me everytime though.

This time I was actually taking the guitar off from playing, over my shoulder over course, and the headstock hit the corner of a metal rack that holds some of his gear. At least it didn't break anything. Felt like it hit pretty hard but just put 2 small dings in the back of the headstock.

jlb32

No chunk. Just 2 impressions in the wood.

I'm letting it bother me way to much at the moment.

It is my most expensive guitar so maybe that makes it bother me even more. I know I need to realize it's not the first and won't be the last. Just pisses me off right now.

I've owned the guitar for around 2 1/2 years now and played it a ton. I guess 3 small dings isn't to bad for that amount of time playing out.

slider

A large percentage of the threads on here are about how much people like, and pay big money for, reliced guitars. So what's the big deal?
The poly on my G&L is so thick, I have yet to put a real ding in it, 22 years on.

The first ding bothers me a lot. Eventually I get over it and don't care too much. Anything more than a ding is another matter. Dropped an overdrive pedal on a Jazzmaster once and took a chunk out of the finish and dented the wood pretty bad. This was on the belly contour. That really pissed me off.

jlb32

A large percentage of the threads on here are about how much people like, and pay big money for, reliced guitars. So what's the big deal?
The poly on my G&L is so thick, I have yet to put a real ding in it, 22 years on.

This is a thin nitro guitar, not thick poly. Any bang at all will show. Has nothing to do with how much people like or pay for reliced guitars.

marktweedy

In Transit®
Silver Supporting Member
The first one on a new or as new condition guitar is tragic. They become less so as they accumulate. On a used and already dinged guitar, they are no big deal.

Chandyland

Silver Supporting Member
As long as it doesn't compromise the playability or structural integrity of the guitar, then it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom