Does Radial make the only 2 Amp/1 cab Switcher?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trower, Feb 22, 2009.

1. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Is the Radial Tonebone Headbone the only game in town for compact head switching between one cabinate? Been looking for one but they are a little pricey still I'm curious what else is out there if anything? Maybe someone has or can make one?

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Axcess Head Switcher, not sure they are making them. Also, Palmer Triline w/E Frog switcher. I've used both and they work great. I actually had lots of problems with the Radial, finally sent it back.

3. trower

What kind of problems? hope no damage was done..

4. GAT

I got these horrible noises and it didn't work. They sent me another one and that didn't work either. I finally got my money back, but not after spending money on shipping back and forth to Canada. They insinuated that I didn't know what I was doing or that I had crappy cables. I had been using the Axcess with great results so obviously I had good cables and knew what I was doing. It was a bad experience!

5. studiodunn

studiodunn Silver Supporting Member

Lehle 1 at 3 is the best out there.

6. GAT

The OP needs something to run two amp heads into one cab and switch between the heads. The Lehle is a nice switcher but doesn't do what he needs.

7. trower

Thanks Gilbert, There is always a bit of confusion regarding switchers, those that must deal with a load is what I'm looking for..

8. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

9. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Mr. Ho over in Canada (maker of Ultimate Attenuater) made one for me a year ago. Works great, give him a buzz and he'll take care of you.

10. GAT

So, does this switch between two heads into one cab? Why does it have two speaker outs? Man, I could use one of these!! I have the Axcess still but would love one in my rack for small gigs where I only want to take one cab.

11. trower

Can you share some details, pics, price please?..We're always hungry for new info.

12. billm408

billm408 Member

Radial Headbone worked great for me. No issues, tone loss or popping. Particularly liked that I could keep it near the heads on short cables and run it off of a simple A/B footswitch.

13. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

John said it switches two amp heads into one cab. Not sure if also that can be switching two heads into a pair of cabs or each head/cab separately using the two outs.

14. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

From the photo's it suggests it does, it looks sweet as! Only problem is I'm not sure if its totally safe to run a cranked Concorde into my D/13 2x12, I mean, its got a Celestion Blue, which is rated at only 15 watts in it.

15. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    No prob here you go, I posted some details about it a while ago:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=428526

I cant quite remember what I paid but i think it was around $200-300 range.

16. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It is 1000% safe to the amps,
    This was a custom unit, a production version would have way more bells and whistles as well as the ability to choose what cabinets, of course 50W into a 15W speaker wont be good. This isnt a priority for us since we have other projects to finish first but this one worked so nicely and was completely transparent so we are considering it. Maybe next NAMM

17. illini

illini Member

+1

I have used the Radial Headbone for a few years now without any problems. I love that it is totally clean and doesn't pop when you switch it back and forth. Radial is a well respected company in the audio world. You can trust their product.

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I find it so strange that Gilbert (GAT) had the problems with the 2 Radial Head Switchers he's owned. They're such an excellent company with really high quality stuff. I have an assortment of their gear and it's rock solid. I'm not doubting him by any means, as he's a gear-pro for sure , but it's just so unusual to me. I had the Axess-Electronics Head Switcher and thought it was pretty good , but didn't like what it did tonewise. Nothing too drastic but just enough to bug me. Others LOVE them. I wouldn't hesitate to try the Radial one based on my experiences with all the other radial studio gear as well as guitar gear, but his caveat was enough to make me never really seek one out . I still find it REALLY unusual though that they have any non-high quality amp head switcher on the market!!! I suspect he had just a bad coincidence (or dark cloud) :cool:

Eric

19. trower