Does STRATosphere loosen their truss rods?

Brian N

I've read that STRATosphere basically buys new guitars and parts them out. I've also read that leaving a guitar without strings for a while will warp the neck unless you loosen the truss rod, and it will quickly leave a hump in the neck.

I've emailed them but they haven't responded. Does anyone know if they loosen the truss rod? Otherwise it seems like buying a guitar from them it will always be flawed.

stratter

I would think they would. They've been in business for about twelve years, so they probably know a thing or two about this stuff. I bought a great neck from them once.

Brian N

I would think they would. They've been in business for about twelve years, so they probably know a thing or two about this stuff. I bought a great neck from them once.
When you bought the neck and installed it did you have to tighten the truss rod?

stratter

I bought it a few years ago (5), and I honestly forgot how they had the truss rod as I took it to a tech to do ye adjustment. When I got it in the mail though, it looked like it needed to be tightened a little bit.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Is there any consensus that leaving a guitar without strings, or I guess we're really talking about a neck off the body, is a cause of warping? I don't know, but I don't really see why it would off the top of my head. Is the thinking that the truss rod is exerting a force that needs to be balanced by the string tension? Not sure about that one either, doesn't quite seem logical to me. But I'm open!

Brian N

Is there any consensus that leaving a guitar without strings, or I guess we're really talking about a neck off the body, is a cause of warping? I don't know, but I don't really see why it would off the top of my head. Is the thinking that the truss rod is exerting a force that needs to be balanced by the string tension? Not sure about that one either, doesn't quite seem logical to me. But I'm open!
I'm not sure if it's a consensus or not, but I've definitely read several people saying that leaving the strings off without loosening the truss rod left a permanent hump in the neck. It makes sense...the truss rod pulls back, the strings pull forward, and it balances out. Without the strings it's just being pulled back, and when you finally pull it forward again it is warped. It's like trying to straighten a paper clip...you're never going to get it perfectly straight again, there's always that groove.

I don't want to buy an inferior guitar that has a hump in the neck..and of course I wouldn't even know until I set the guitar up, and by that time I will have sunk a bunch of money into acquiring the other parts for it.

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
I've purchased a Fender American Strat maple neck from them in the last year, and the truss rod needed just the slightest tweak. No more than I might do for a whole Fender I brought at a music store.

I do think necks are one of their most popular items, as lately I've noticed their 3 times a week "10% off something" sale, seems to always have the asterisk (* necks not included)

Brian N

I really wish they'd get back to me. I've read that they are not the friendliest when it comes to customer service.

dohmar

I never had a problem with stratosphere parts or their service. Not sure about the truss rod adjustment, though it would make sense especially when shipping across different climates. I don't believe a lack of strings would cause a neck to warp unless the wood itself was structurally deficient. Take a look at the neck and see how curved it is, if it looks anything other than straight, correct it.

it takes a long time for the neck to develop issue when the truss rod is only slightly out of tweak, and thats with strings pulling on it. The underlying metal of the truss rod is the structural strength and its not magically going to be altered by the tensillary strength of the wood

-D

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
Way, way overthinking it. Leaving a truss rod tightened without strings could possibly, maybe, conceivably in some instances contribute to a warped neck. There are a great deal more instances in which it has had absolutely no effect. What's more, it's easy to check - just adjust the rod, or even install the thing - and Stratosphere offers a solid return policy.

Trending Topics