Does TGP actually hate John Mayer or is it more like, meh?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Mickey_C, Oct 9, 2019.

Which of the following best expressed your feelings about John Mayer's guitar playing?

1. I love his playing; Mayer is a virtuoso, one of the very best.

2. He's very good, but not one of the best guitarists ever.

3. He's OK on guitar, just nothing remarkable on that front.

4. You could characterize me as totally unimpressed by his guitar skills.

5. I just think he kinda sucks on guitar, for all the hype.

6. When I think of his playing I have pure, unadulterated, hate.

7. New addition: He's no virtuoso, but he's no hack.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Definitely not hate, definitely respect the talent, he might be a virtuoso, but I can't get into his music. I voted "very good but not one of the best ever".

2. johngalt2004

johngalt2004 Supporting Member

I saw him about a year ago in Sacramento, and he did a solo on Gravity that took my breath away - it was so creative and dramatic and thick and gorgeous. I think anybody who wants to take him down a peg on his guitar playing ... they must have something else going on ego wise. He is a magnificent player.

pick it up at 1:55

3. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

From what I've understood, TGP absolutely loves Mayer.

4. johngalt2004

johngalt2004 Supporting Member

But Clapton himself would, so there's that I guess.

+NRG, Oriondk and ckfoxtrot like this.
  5. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

I think he’s a witty guy. Good songwriting and chops. Not everyone likes his sense of humor, I guess.

6. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

It's hard not to view JM through doucheb@g-tinted glasses. He has wisened up, though, over the years. Artistically, there's no denying that the guy is very intelligent and insanely talented. He composes music and plays in a variety of styles, has great chops and lovely tone. A lot of his music is not for me, but that's not important.

Average Joe likes this.
  7. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I did my best to not like him for a long while. Stupid, I know, for any subject, but I'd had my fill of strat blues wankery. Then I heard some good things about his "Born and Raised" album. Wow, what a wonderful collection of beautiful, moving tunes, cool lyrics and sparse, tasty understated production. The title tune is one of the few that can literally make me weep. Walt Grace Submarine Ride is a masterwork of simple yet powerful songwriting. At least to me. I find his restraint with the guitar parts to be very refreshing. He's not a great singer, but he's able to sell the songs effectively.

Oriondk, m4dm4x and johngalt2004 like this.
  8. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

im not a fan of any of 2 guitar players but Bonamassa run circles around Mayer.

9. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Remember "man shall not live by chops alone".

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Same thing with me..

11. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I think he's a good guitar player, a good songwriter and I really dislike his singing! Just my opinion! Virtuoso nope! Virtuosos push boundaries, JM sounds like pop music era Clapton! That isn't a bad thing, but it isn't exactly pushing boundaries! Alan Holdsworth, Lenny Breau, Joe Pass, that's who I think of when I hear the word virtuoso!

theanthonyv likes this.
  12. hotrats73

hotrats73 Member

I agree.
    He certainly can play way above average and it's obvious that his playing comes directly form is mind and heart, and that's a good thing.

But there are tons of players with his guitar skills out there. I find his playing good but generic, I don't hear something special in his playing like I might hear in Derek Trucks, for example.

The real strength of JM is his songwriting and not his playing. It's a hell of a skill of course and a skill partially translates in his guitar lines.

If he were just the guitar player in a band nobody would praise him for his skills on guitar, imho.

markjsmith likes this.
  13. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

I think it is great he is doing so well. But the music and even his guitarplaying does nothing for me. It's so slick and smooth that my brain and heart has nothing to hold on to... it just slips my mind en doesn't even rub my heart. I prefer the much less polished guitarplayers who are more angular and raw (and less virtuoso in most cases), those who struggle ...

Thumpalumpacus and theanthonyv like this.
  14. Luca79

Luca79 Member

I loved his first 3 albums and Trio work. After 2008 is meh for me.

Guitarists hate him because he have too much Dumble and good stuff; like Bonamassa have so many real burst. Is all envy.

15. Lord N

Lord N Member

I answered this already in this thread.

16. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

I am in the UK and have been a big John Mayer fan ever since I received the Where The Light Is DVD a few years. Thought he was a gifted player who had managed to successfully play acoustic, electric rock and put his own interpretation on the blues with his trio. Bought all his cd's after that and enjoyed them all in varying degrees just as I have with most of the artists I have appreciated over the last 60yrs. Like Clapton before him I figured his"weak" point was his voice which can come across as a bit "samey" but then he had the throat operation and although still not a great singer his range has improved, maybe like Eric his voice will grow better with age. I always figured the anti Mayer brigade were grounded in jealousy ie he is talented, self deprecating, good looking and Hollywood actresses and beautiful females adorn the first few rows at his concerts, what's not to be jealous about.

When he moved up a level for me was when he joined Dead & Co. Here is a band who had one of the seminal guitar players of all time and had done several shows with different top line guitarists such as Warren Haynes, Steve Kimmock, Mark Karan, Jimmy Herring etc who were all good but never clicked into place with them the way John Mayer has. Anyone who has seen Dead & Co the last couple of years can see and hear that he along with Jeff Cilenti and Oteil Burbridge has given Kreutzman, Hart and especially Bobby Weir a new lease of life. As they haven't to my knowledge played over here in Europe yet I have had to settle for the full live shows transmitted in 1080p on You Tube etc and after watching a couple of the concerts from this years batch am amazed at how good Mayer has become he has certainly converted the deadheads who were dubious to begin with and are now proudly wearing "Mayer Is Dead" t-shirts.

I've never been a fan of the "who is best" type arguments which often end in rancour here at the TGP as it is always subjective. For me my all time favourite guitarist is Eric Clapton because after listening to him since my teens and seeing him 17 times in concert since seeing him in John Mayall's band in the 60's he has never played the same solo twice and even in his drunken years in the 80's managed to play the best version of have you ever loved a women I have heard. Forgetting Eric's other claims to fame I came to realise that what I liked best about him was his musical vocabulary which for me rivals Bob Dylans written vocabulary. For me anyway John Mayer is up there with Eric as a huge creative talent on a guitar. Eric said during the JJ Cale sessions that John was a master guitarist and that he is for sure.

Oriondk, ckfoxtrot and Vintage_ like this.
  17. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

I meant to put this on my previous post. Here is a discourse by a European musician on how difficult it is to play Neon.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  18. Pleximate

Pleximate Member

19. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

My wife thinks John is the one starting these hate on John threads. Maybe she is right?

20. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Member

I for one love all things John Mayer......but he's no Van Halen!!!!

C'mon boys.....am I rite or am I right????