Does the 1957 Commemorative Stratocaster have Collector Value?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blueslover, Mar 24, 2008.

1. blueslover

blueslover Member

I have been trying to watch the value of these things but it hasn't been consistent.

Is the economy really that messed up or what is it? Is this a guitar that will be appreciating in value in a couple of years rather than now? You think there are many people that are keeping them stored as collectors?
    [/LEFT]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. sdlogan9

sdlogan9 Gold Supporting Member

I think it would depend on how long you were willing to wait on a return.
    I wouldn't think that guitar would become collectible for another 20 years or so.

I think that old Custom Shop stuff will be the most collectible in the future.
    Just my opinion.

Peace
    Shane

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

There are 2007 of them - not exactly very limited. Noone can say if these "limited" guitars will hold their value at all, since the market for them has not been well established.

4. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Not sure if this is relevant, but how's the market for the various "Special Edition" Ovations Kaman used to make?

5. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

+1

Seems many manufactures are doing this these days. Limited editions, specials etc......

And what did Musican's Friend blow them out at in the end?

6. brad347

brad347 Member

A general rule of thumb is that things made specifically to be collectable rarely actually end up being collectable.

I mean I wonder how much those Franklin Mint commemorative coins are worth? What you've basically got is one of those in guitar form. If it ever did go up in value, it would be an artificial value/desirability and the market on it would always be soft.

If you do not enjoy playing it, I suggest selling it while it is 'new' and invest the money either in something you would enjoy playing or a good mutual fund or something, or at least a real vintage guitar. Best of luck!

7. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I would play it, as it was a nice guitar. As for collectability.Thats likely not happening anytime soon.They made too many,and it usually takes 20 years for a guitar to be considered collectible.

8. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Bingo, that's exactly correct.

9. blueslover

blueslover Member

Yeah, I might just end up selling it while it is new. It's really a beautiful guitar with some great wood pattern and excellent fit/finish. The only problem, I don't much dig the specs of a v-neck, maple board, vintage frets. Everything else is great though. I guess I might consider selling it instead of collecting it and picking up a Mayer strat or something like that.

10. brad347

brad347 Member

I think that would be a wise decision. And hey, it means you get to go guitar shopping!

11. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

At the time (over 10 years ago), there hadn't been a long history of "Limited" models from Fender. The next year, they did the 1998 Telecasters and they tanked. They ended up getting blown out really cheaply as late as two or three years later because they simply didn't sell well. One of the problems has been that Fender flooded the market with "Limited Editions", "Collectible Series", "Anniversary Series", etc. models in the years since then, and the initial collector value has been significantly diluted. You probably won't lose money on that one, and it IS a really nice guitar, but I wouldn't expect any significant increased value out of it unfortunately.

On a positive note, Fender prices in general have increased, so the natural price uptick could work to your advantage.

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

+1000. Seems almost everything is trying to be made collectable these days. Hell you have limited edition Froot Loops out there. wtf!?

13. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

I bought one for sentimental reasons.

My wife and I had a boy in 2007 and we did this late in life. I was born in '57 and our obviously our son in '07. I did not get in on the GC sale of $999, as hard as I tried. But I did find one for a lot less than the $1599, which had a bit of chequeing on the back.

It is under the bed in the guestroom. We are also waiting to see if he will be a lefty or righty. Hopefully he will have an interest in guitar but if not, by the time he is in his teens, it may have appreciated.

14. Matt F

Matt F Member

Yea.. I only use true 60s NOS Froot Loops. Can't compare to the new crap :crazy.

[​IMG]

15. blueslover

blueslover Member

Hahaha, they should re-issue fruit loops...lol