Does the 6V6EH still have a high failure rate!

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,372
Just curious because they came stock in my Deluxe Reverb Reissue, I checked the Bias with the Weber Bias Right and I set the amp at 22mA with a plate voltage of 405Vdc. I'm a little nervous about keeping these in that amp after reading plenty of negative reports!

Is the 6V6EH a 12 Watt tube or 14 like the JJ?

I really like the tone of this amp stock I set at about 3 for a clean tone and get all my dirt from pedals!

I have a pair of JJ 6V6 and new JJ GZ34 ready to be installed if needed!
 
T

theelectic

In my experience, the 6V6EH has always been a rugged tube. Not as rugged as the JJ, and certainly not as good as NOS, but back in '98 or so when they were first released, they were the best new production 6V6 on the market. You're probably thinking of the OLD Sovtek "6V6" (notice the use of quotes) which was smaller and all black inside, and not even a real 6V6! Those could only handle around 250V-300V on the plates, and would routinely fail in amps that ran them hard. Which is practically any guitar amp than runs 6V6s.

IIRC the max plate dissipation of the 6V6EH is 14W. You're at roughly 8W right now, or roughly 60% of max, which is a tad on the cold side. You might try upping it to 70% (a little less than 10W) and see if you like the tone better. You'll lose some clean headroom (the amp will break up earlier) but you might like that.
 

Blue Strat

Member
Messages
30,152
Originally posted by theelectic
In my experience, the 6V6EH has always been a rugged tube. Not as rugged as the JJ, and certainly not as good as NOS, but back in '98 or so when they were first released, they were the best new production 6V6 on the market. You're probably thinking of the OLD Sovtek "6V6" (notice the use of quotes) which was smaller and all black inside, and not even a real 6V6! Those could only handle around 250V-300V on the plates, and would routinely fail in amps that ran them hard. Which is practically any guitar amp than runs 6V6s.

IIRC the max plate dissipation of the 6V6EH is 14W. You're at roughly 8W right now, or roughly 60% of max, which is a tad on the cold side. You might try upping it to 70% (a little less than 10W) and see if you like the tone better. You'll lose some clean headroom (the amp will break up earlier) but you might like that.
From data from about 25 techs I know around the country, the EHs were disasters in many amps including Princeton Reverbs, one of the least demanding 6V6 amps.

Of course, not every tube has a problem, but even 5% is a horrible record. If you're in the 5% group the failure rate might was well be 100%.
 
T

theelectic

Originally posted by Blue Strat
From data from about 25 techs I know around the country, the EHs were disasters in many amps including Princeton Reverbs, one of the least demanding 6V6 amps.

Of course, not every tube has a problem, but even 5% is a horrible record. If you're in the 5% group the failure rate might was well be 100%.
Point taken, Mike. Let me add that I'm no tech, so I don't go through hundreds of tubes. Being an "end user" who gets the tube pre-screened from a vendor like yourself, I've used around three dozen 6V6EHs since they were released, and only one really failed early - and that was in a Champ. Blew it up after a week. Of the others, three or four pairs eventually failed, but those were all after a long time - four or five years. So knock on wood, my experience with them has been largely positive.

Just so we're on the right page, this is the 6V6EH:



And this is the old, old, very bad "6V6" (Sovtek labelled) which was the old new production around for years:

 

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,372
I hope EH would have taken notice of all these bad tubes and try and solve the Issue, I really like the tone of these tubes!

Blue Strat, What NOS tube do you carry that would have a similar tone to the EH but reliable. I'm looking for a tube that will run in the latest version of Deluxe Reverb Reissue that can also have some clean head room!
 
T

theelectic

Originally posted by bbarnard
Doesn't TAD have a 6V6 now? Anyone have any experience with those if yes?
I think those ones are the same Chinese 6V6 that Mesa sells.
 

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,372
Originally posted by big mike
Still running the stock GT labled ones in my Z with no issues.
Are the voltages similar to the DRRI, Just curious I would rather just leave the EH tubes in, I just dont want them to die at the wrong time!

Just a not that mine are GT branded if that means anything but I'm assuming they do test there tubes better than most!
 

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
12,916
I have no idea about the voltages. Sorry.

I know Mike Z designed it around that tube.
 

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,372
I was looking at the Data sheets for both tubes and have notice a difference.
*********JJ-6V6 vs EH-6V6**************
Max Plate - 500V 450V
Max Screen - *450V *350V
Both are 14W tubes and the failures that I have read about are the screens on the EH tubes go which I can understand why by looking at the spec, The Screen voltage on the Deluxe Reverb RI is around 394V.

I think I will just play it safe and Install my JJ6V6!
 

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
2,441
Back when I had 6V6 amps (DRRI and Germino Masonette) I liked the JJ better than the EH. When pushed the JJs weren't as fizzy in the highs. To me the JJs actually sound close to 6L6s, so if you like the tone you get with the EH you may want to stick with it.

By the way you can also run 6L6s in a DRRI for a little different tone and more clean headroom.
 

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,901
I think those ones are the same Chinese 6V6 that Mesa sells.
I have no idea about the mesa connection but TAD's are most certainly chinese made tubes. HOWEVER.... all TAD "STR" series tubes are built to TAD's (a German company) specs and then they do the final QC in germany. The TAD 6l6's are currently being hailed by many as the best available modern tubes. If the 6V6 are of the same quality then JJ may have some serious competition. BTW I bought JJ's for my DR and within a month one of them was shot. I don't know what their failure rate is but for me it was 100%.:confused:
 

Blue Strat

Member
Messages
30,152
Originally posted by jlagrassa
I hope EH would have taken notice of all these bad tubes and try and solve the Issue, I really like the tone of these tubes!

Blue Strat, What NOS tube do you carry that would have a similar tone to the EH but reliable. I'm looking for a tube that will run in the latest version of Deluxe Reverb Reissue that can also have some clean head room!
I'd go with the Marconi 6V6Gs.
 

procos

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
5,348
Well put it this way my Meteor II arrived today and kept blowing the 2A fuse. I figured out after going through 2 fuses that it wasn't the rectifier but I had 2 out of the 4 6V6EH power tubes were bad. Thank god I had 2 NOS Phillips 6V6's to replace them with. And with Marks great bias points and switches I was able to rebias the 2 new tubes in 2 minutes. Also talked to John at Fatsound and they are going to send me 4 new power tubes. Keeping my fingers crossed that the 4 new EH fair alittle better. BTW this new Meteor II is incredible. Love this amp to death.

Chuck
 

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
10,847
Plate voltages for my amp line is around 375 or so. Of 8 pairs of EH tubes I bought, 15 died, one lived. This was from five different batches (date codes) and I wound up paying almost as much on shipping as I did on the tubes.

Stuck some NOS Philips in there...no problem. Put the new JJ's in there, no problem (and even better tone, IMO).

I've gotten two bad JJ's out of about 25-30, but it sure beats the failure rate of the EH tubes (15 bad for 16? come on WTF?).
 

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,372
Thanks for all the Input I will be installing the JJ tubes tonight! Eventually I will try the NOS tubes too!
 

Curly

Member
Messages
1,400
I have several 6V6 amps, both newer and vintage.

I run NOS in my old amps, like the Deluxe and Champ.

In my DRRI and Vicky Double D, I use the JJ's. I really like the tone, and both of those amps benefit from the bigger bottom of the JJ.

I think everyone knows that DRs and DRRIs are rough on the power tubes, so chose your tubes wisely. ;)
 

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
6,372
I just Installed a pair of JJ 6V6 and yes they do sound great and actually cleaner with a better low end! I also Installed a JJ GZ34 Rectifier and a couple of JJ ECC81 in V3 and V6, Man this amp sounds so much bigger now I love the head room that the JJ 6V6 added!
 




Trending Topics

Top