Does the Boss DD3 delay sound better than the Digidelay ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnK24, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

In terms of clarity and sound quality (noise). Also does the Boss unit have a better bypass than that of the Digitech Digidelay ? I had the Digidelay, but I sold it as it seemed to really suck the tone out of my small pedal chain (comp, OD, chorus and delay). I even tried removing the chorus (CS9) from the chain, but the delay seemed to suck the tone (the OD and comp are true bypass).

thanks,

J

2. telefmt

telefmt Member

I'm very happy with my DD-3. It is dead quiet and doesn't seem to alter my volume or tone at all. I haven't tried the Digi but I know how the Boss sounds to me.

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I'd go with this response too...I have an older DD-3. Had a newer one and didn't like it as much.

4. Rossl

Rossl Member

I have an older DD3 and the Digidelay. I like the DD3 for shorter delays, I think the Digidelay sounds warmer (not as clear) when in tape sim mode for lonegr delays.

I have both on my board

5. HHB

HHB Member

I've had good luck w/the Digidelay, I run crybaby, Barber direct drive, digidelay into a Tophat club royale w/ great success. I only use the tape delay setting and leave it on a "reverb"

6. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Same here, I use both & haven't found either one to be a tone sucker, on or off. I only use the DigiDelay in Tape mode, and until recently, have always thought it sounded much better than the DD-3; I sent the DD-3 to Analogman, he worked it over & took the harshness out of it, now it's excellent. Might have to get another one to replace the DigiDelay! :AOK

7. batlas

batlas Member

I think there are some differences in DD-3's I believe there have been 3 production models. I have a Big chip MIJ model and it sounds wonderfull. My favorite delay for slapback type of stuff. I'd probably go for an echopark rather than a digitech model if size is the deciding factor.

But buffer wise your probably safest with the DD3..

8. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

Digidelay replaced my MIT DD-3. I like the many features the Digidelay has and I usually keep it on the Tape echo mode. Having the reverse and loop modes are cool too. The Digidelay seems to have more bang for the buck.