Does the brand of pots make a difference in the sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Figaro, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

My 5E7 tweed Bandmaster was built from a Mojotone kit. I haven't had any problems with the pots but the jacks were kind of cheap so I replaced them with switchcraft ones. Do you think it would make any difference in the sound to replace the pots?

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Not really. It's mainly the taper (if logarithmic), the longevity and the smoothness of action that would differ. Higher price pots often are more exact in value too (e.g. some low quality 500k ones can measure 400k-ish)

3. Avatar Tech

Poorly constructed pots might get dirty and start making crackling noises sooner than others but I've never heard of anyone saying "I switched out all the pots from my Mojo kit and it improved the tone!".

CD

4. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

There are small differences in the tone qualities of a potentiometer and the very high end hifi manufacturers use some pretty pricy components but mostly for the volume controls. You see less of it in the tone pots but quality is always apparent even if just in the smoothness or linear nature of a good component. All this being said unless you have a real plan and intend to go for some noticeably better parts I would spend my money elsewhere.

5. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

This.

Now you have more time to practice!
    :beer

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

My Germino developed a scratchy volume pot a few weeks ago. I emailed that little worm Greg and demanded satisfaction. I let him have it with both barrels! Here's a transcript of the conversation.

My dear sweet Gregory,

My beloved Club 40 has developed a scratchy volume pot. Would you *please* take a moment of your most valuable time and advise. Thank you sir!

His response:

Frank, you sweet sweet man! First, thank you for gracing me with playing my creation in the smokey bars of Florida. When you have a precious moment of your time, please remove V1 and replace it. This should correct your problem. If not, call me immediately so I can hop a plane to your house.

My follow-up:

Dearest Gregory, baby,

What is a V1?

Okay, okay, so it didn't quite go that way, although I really did have to ask which tube was V1.

Anyhow, in usual fashion, Greg gave me more info than my Accountant brain could process regarding the innerds. He said something about the volume pots being open, etc... I asked if that could be the problem. He said that wouldn't have anything to do with it, and to change the damn tube like he told me to. No, he didn't really say that either. He just said to change the tube. Well, I noticed the amp was a bit dusty so I simply pulled all of the tubes, cleaned up the amp from head to toe and put the original tubes back in. Problem solved. I guess, and he concurred, the socket was probably had some dust in it.

Anywho, long story long, the pots were fine.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Ok... where would you spend your money?

8. Rambergwest

Rambergwest Member

I get blasted occasionally as a snake oil dealer but here we go :)
    Get a good instrument cable, lots of opinions but at least make a conscious choice.
    Get a good speaker cable, same as above, read and decide on your own.
    Get the best first and last preamp tube you can afford and again this site can tell you where to start.

Now you have a platform capable of reacting truthfully to the changes you make in the future. As an example many speakers have been replaced at fairly significant cost to get bass that was not being supplied through the signal chain. As the player goes through the signal chain over time they will eventually fix the bass problem the right way and now they have a speaker that is bottom heavy. If you are going to spend big money on the perfect speaker you should first have things nailed down upstream.

Anyway this is the wisdom that I paid $ for and I am sure there are lots of different approaches based on other folks experiences.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  9. kimock

kimock Member

Replace all the pots with the cheapest ones you can find. That ought to settle it.

10. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Those pots are fine. I would'nt worry about it.

11. JDJ

JDJ Member

What a bizarre post.