Does the EQD Black Eye Clean Boost Enhance Tone or Strictly Increase Volume?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slicepaperdavid, Apr 13, 2015.

1. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

I am hoping to run one last in my dirt chain to beef up, and enhance my gain pedals and have as an "always on". I have no experience with clean boosts and am not 100% sure what their applications are for besides increasing volume for lead parts etc. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the EQD Black Eye?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Can a clean boost be run post dirt to up the gain and beef up the core tone? I am using an "amp in a box" Bogner Ecstacy Red pedal that emulates a pre amp so I would need to put the Black Eye after it and am unclear if I will be just making the pedal/amp louder.

3. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

I had one for a few weeks... I liked it, but in the end, I favored the Zvex Super Hard On. They were very similar. And to answer your question, yes, it does enhance the tone -- at least, in my opinion, it did. It added some top end sparkle and a little bit of grit underneath that. I use boost pedals quite frequently as "always on" pedals, this allows me to get my amp to break up at an earlier state and control my volume levels. It worked really well post-dirt. I returned it not because there was anything lacking in the pedal, it just didn't offer me anything my SHO didn't and I still was within the return frame.

I hope that helps.

4. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I used one for a few years. It's a MOSFET boost (like the SHO) so it adds a skooch of top-end sparkle and a little grunt on the low-end. Especially if you feed it with 18v. The tonal shift is very subtle though, don't expect a night and day difference.

Like Rocky, I liked the SHO a little better, but the BEB is a superb clean boost, IMO. Again, I will agree that it worked really well post dirt.

5. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

That helped immensely, TY!

6. screwyloot

screwyloot Member

i found it to be pretty transparent. i agree with above posters, SHO would better suit your needs.

7. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Well I ordered a Black Eye, so hopefully it fulfills my needs!

8. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

You won't be disappointed. I used it as my clean boost pedal for a good 3 or 4 years.

9. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Cool! Thanks for the help, I'll do a follow up after it comes in and a clip