does the eternity have clean signal blended in like the TS?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyonthewall150, Jan 16, 2008.

1. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

I've always disliked OD pedals that have clean signal blended in with the overdrive like the tubescreamer and its variants. I have a Boss OD-3 which I like because it doesn't do this, but I still find its overdrive to be a bit too jangly and harsh, and would like something smoother. Does the Eternity have clean signal blended in like the tubescreamer or is it just straight overdrive? That's the pedal I'm considering which is why I'm asking.

thanks for the help...

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I don't know, I never really noticed that phenomenon with TS style pedals. If you hear it in a regular TS though then yes it's going to be there in the E. I think the E is the best TS based pedal out there but that's exactly what it is.

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I think you might be thinking of the voodoo lab sparkle drive that has a blendable clean boost (really useful feature BTW).

4. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I'm confused. I would think that this "clean blending" would be the perceived effect of asymmetrical clipping and would be the opposite of the way you have stated it.

5. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Every TS type pedal I've owned (TS-9, mi audio blues pro, bad monkey, sd-1, vox valvetone, etc.) all sound like they have a bit of clean tone blended in with the signal. It's like you get a bit of the clean signal of the guitar coming through in the background underneath the overdrive, and I've never really liked that. Maybe I just like distortion pedals better...

6. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

A little off topic but the clips of The Silver Kiss mkII sound like a clean and fuzzy tone blended together. I had one and that is not how it sounds up close and personal.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I know what you are talking about. I hear it in two different ways. The first is when I really hit a note hard I hear part of the clean signal come through, almost like the overdrive can't keep up. The other way is on the decay of a note when the 'fizz' from the overdrive dies out and the clean tone is left. I (perhaps incorrectly) blame this on the compression circuit, mainly because I don't notice this behavior on my Fulldrive 2 in 'comp-cut' mode.

Having typed all of that, I'm not sure if the Eternity does it or not. I've only played the Eternity at cranked volume levels and didn't notice it. I didn't notice it when Ken Rosser used his on a gig. Both times I was very, very impressed with the Eternity.

Bryan

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

What you are hearing in TS pedals is due to the fact that in the clipping stage, the higher frequencies are distorted more than the lower, which is being percieved as clean bleed through or blending. It doesn't happen as much in the Eternity, at least not nearly as much as a TS.