• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Does the Fender '57 reissue Tweed Twin have a cathode follower stage?

Mickey64

....and what does this mean, anyway? (In layman's terms if possible!).

It might explain my amp's seemingly extreme sensitivity to which preamp tubes I can use without hum issues. Sovtek 12AX7WC's seem fine, some EH's are OK, but Tung Sols are not.

Thanks!

Beam Tetrode

Yes, the 57 twin does have a cathode follower acting as a buffer to drive the tone stack. It is the third tube from the right when facing the back of the amp. 12AX7s with spiral filaments cannot handle elevated voltage on the cathode; therefore, spiral filament tubes are not the best choice in the cathode follower position.

Mickey64

Thanks, but the third? I'm getting excessive hum when I put a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V2, second from the right. The third is the PI, or so I thought?

Last edited:

Mickey64

Ahh, thanks. So why am I getting excess hum by putting certain tubes in V2 (and V1 to a lesser extent)?

Trout

Ahh, thanks. So why am I getting excess hum by putting certain tubes in V2 (and V1 to a lesser extent)?

Have you tried getting rid of the New Sensor made tubes?

I have had a recent problem with their EH 12AY7's. No matter where I use them, they induce significant hum.
I have no idea what they have changed, but clearly its a failure.

They used to be excellent tubes and worked great in all of my tweed amps, the last batch I bought is only good for BB gun practice.

Mickey64

Maybe they're just bad tubes, as you say. However, they do seem to work OK in my other amps.

I'm just trying to find out if the problem is with the tubes, the amp, or a mismatch between the two. Strange, a recent Tonequest Report suggested Tung Sols for the Tweed Twin. I wonder if they actually tried them?

Trending Topics