Does the "game" slow down for you?

naccoachbob

In sports, specifically soccer in my experience, players talk about the game slowing down for them once they've achieved some proficiency. Like when they don't have to worry about basics, they have the ability to think earlier about what's going on around them and are able to make quicker decisions. I've had the pleasure a couple of times, feeling this sensation even at my advanced age :)

What I'm wondering is, do guitar players feel this when they've progressed in their playing? Once they've cleared a technical hurdle?

Thanks,
Bob

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
In sports, specifically soccer in my experience, players talk about the game slowing down for them once they've achieved some proficiency. Like when they don't have to worry about basics, they have the ability to think earlier about what's going on around them and are able to make quicker decisions. I've had the pleasure a couple of times, feeling this sensation even at my advanced age :)

What I'm wondering is, do guitar players feel this when they've progressed in their playing? Once they've cleared a technical hurdle?

Thanks,
Bob
I think that this is necessary if a player is going to improve.

The term improvisation is a bit misleading. If we converse with someone we aren't making everything up from scratch, we're placing known words into a specific order so that we can communicate an idea.

To me music is the same, since we use ideas, forms and phrases to communicate a musical idea.

The difference with really good players is that they are continually looking for more ideas. They pass a hurdle only to attack a higher hurdle. So yes, there gets to be a point where your musical vocabulary develops to a point where you can "improvise" over a more and more complex background and that makes it a bit more relaxed, because if nothing else, you hear more of what's happening, but the target keeps moving. (See the second statement in my signature)

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure about the slowing down part but I can play some 'game' now. I don't always have to look at the instructions. The work is ongoing but when the game is on I try to be in the moment and not thinking about too much, especially anything about my chops.

Axis29

Like Flyin' Brian, it comes in waves. What seemed so fast and difficult a few years ago, seems easier to comprehend and keep up with. It can feel like time slows when I'm 'in the zone'.

I am no longer ALWAYS in a panic when on stage! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeremy_Green

I would say it has for sure. My brain seems to have more headroom once the thinking part subsides a bit (after YEARS of really drilling the fundamentals).

jeffmatz

For me, it's more a tune by tune basis...I guess improvisation is the most demanding part of what I have to do musically to play the music I like, and I find that yeah, when I know a tune inside out, I mean really "own" it things do "slow down..." Or maybe my brain speeds up...either way, I can play over it and stay totally relaxed because I'm not thinking about little structure things...I can spend time thinking ahead, or listening...

amstrtatnut

I generally play better when I remind myself to relax. So the game doesnt slow down Im just more at ease when I dont fight it.

Pitar

The improvisation of playing is just how another poster puts it: It's not really improv. It's putting together known solution sets to previously worked out problems. The been there, done that rule applies. It comes down to the number of paths you've allowed yourself to discover and what you remember from each.

For me, any chord is limited to what you can do with it, where you can place it, how you explore it, etc. Then there's all the color around it that gives it avenues to come and go. This may not make any sense to anyone but it's real enough for me.

Maybe music and the guitar don't always come together for people. I think if they explored chords searching for the music within and around them waiting to be discovered they'd be onto some serious fun. If not, there's always covers.

dewey decibel

When I think of the game slowing down, it's more everything else around me slowing down. That I can hear, comprehend and react to everything else that's going on around me, much clearer than usual.