Does the New Deja-Vibe's Have more throb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 58lespaulman, Jul 29, 2006.

1. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

It says on Fulltone's website that all the Mini Deja-Vibes after 6/15/04 have the tweak to give more output, and more throb. Is this true, so the newer ones have more everything? I used to own and older one and could never get enough throb or output out of it.

T[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]his Limited Edition Mini-Deja'Vibe has a special tweak giving it more overall available gain, hence a thicker 'vibe sound...unity volume is at about 2 O'clock position on the Volume control. Not a deviation from the original Univibe circuit, just taking into account the +/- 20% variation in component values and how that affected the strength of one Univibe over another. Many of my best old Univibes have strong preamp sections due to this inconsistency, and that translates to a thicker "soup" so-to-speak.
    This tweak us now standard in all Mini-Deja'Vibes with 6/15/04 and newer dates

2. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

It absolutely does. I had the original version years ago and sold it for the very reason that the throb was fairly subtle. I now have a recent/new stereo Dejavibe, and it has far enhanced throb to it....I like the new Deja so much that I sold my Sweetsound vibes. :dude

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

GOOD - because it's the cheapest. If you read on the Fulltone Custom shop page, you can read the Robin Trower Fender Fulltone Calaberation, and it says they added this tweak to all the new Deja-vibes. I think I should pick one up. Anybody else have any input on this issue?

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If true... it is common that one can send in (for a fee of course) their old ones to get it modded to the new spec?

I am guessing it depends on a few things, but...

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Nobody seems to know much about this one?

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

fwiw, i too thought the older ones had less throb than some other models out there. i'd be interested to hear the newer ones if this thread is true... :)

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

It says on the Fulltone Custom Shop page that all the newer ones have more output and throb. I had an older one like I said. I think I'll be trying one of the newer ones to see if this statment is true.

8. laadeeda

laadeeda Member

It has more throb, but also, less headroom. If you play a middle-output strat, that's cool but a hot humbucker makes that puppy bark. mojo still sounds better and the provibe does not distort when you play heavy through it. I had a deja 2 and tried to get the tweak done, but mister rich guy pedal maker would'nt budge. Stock, the unit made fast runs get muddy, and the sound wasn't very deep, got a mojo and all is well (although it does bark with a high output P/U) Tried the new deja with a les paul and it sounded dark, crackling with distortion.

9. majornelson

majornelson Active Member

I think you\'ll find most of these Vibe clones have the same input values and headroom much the same.What wont crackle with a hot humbucker?I got the mojo and I got a mini Deja...I got the 1 of 100 Trower one with the upgrade. Neither one is better than the other. If I posted clips of each and you\'ll never pick which is which, IMO.The deja has a strong throb.Any doubt, listen to the live Trower clip on Fulltone\'s site.Sounded dark? There\'s a Vintage/modern switch on the Deja. You might have tried using it.

10. RickB

RickB Member

Since the change took place in units on or after 6/15/04, if you got one from say 11/04, do you think any more changes have taken place from 11/04 through 8/06?

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

I like my Gold DV, but I wish it was a little smaller... I like that it's subtle and "swawpy" (as SRV68 has stated).... I wonder if it's possible to have it put into the smaller enclosure. I run mine before any of the gain pedals... The strange thing is, if I have a fuzz on with it, it'll clean up the fuzziness... I dunno why. If I run the DV after the gain pedals, it gets TO swooshy and phaserish.